Thermodyanmics, specific heat capacity

In summary, the problem involves a 4kg iron hammer initially at 700 degrees Celsius being dropped into a bucket of 20kg of water at 25 degrees Celsius. Using the equation q=mc(delta)T, we can find the final temperature by equating the heat gained by the water to the heat lost by the iron. After solving for Tf, we get a final temperature of 32.95 degrees Celsius. This is found by adding the initial temperature of the water and the change in temperature of the water due to the heat lost from the iron.
Jennifer001

Homework Statement

a 4kg iron hammer is initally 700 degree celcius is droppped into a bucket containing 20kg of water at 25degree celcius. what is the final temperture

Homework Equations

q=mc(delta)T

The Attempt at a Solution

m1=4kg
m2=20kg
T1=700=973K
T2=25=298
i know the system is in equilibrium but i don't know how to solve it correctly.. so here's my shot at it

Q=mc(delta)T
=(4)(449J/kgK)(Tf-973)=(20)(4190J/kgK)(Tf-298)

i think I'm doing this question wrong because .. when i solve for Tf i get a negative number of -288.66K

help?

Physics news on Phys.org
nvm forget this question i just figured out how to do it... i forgot to put the negative sign for the iron since it loses heat.

As a scientist, it is important to note that the equation used to solve this problem is correct. However, the final temperature calculated is not physically possible. This is because the hammer is initially at a much higher temperature than the water, and when they come into contact, heat will transfer from the hammer to the water until they reach thermal equilibrium. This means that the final temperature should be somewhere in between the initial temperatures of the hammer and the water.

To solve this problem correctly, we need to use the law of energy conservation, which states that the total energy of a closed system remains constant. In this case, the total energy is the sum of the heat energy of the hammer and the water.

We can set up the following equation:

m1c1(T1-Tf) = m2c2(Tf-T2)

Where m1 and c1 are the mass and specific heat capacity of the hammer, T1 is the initial temperature of the hammer, m2 and c2 are the mass and specific heat capacity of the water, and T2 is the initial temperature of the water.

Solving for Tf, we get:

Tf = (m1c1T1 + m2c2T2)/(m1c1 + m2c2)

Plugging in the values, we get:

Tf = (4kg * 449J/kgK * 700K + 20kg * 4190J/kgK * 25K) / (4kg * 449J/kgK + 20kg * 4190J/kgK) = 25.1 degrees Celsius

Therefore, the final temperature will be approximately 25.1 degrees Celsius, which is a more reasonable result.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of the relationship between heat, work, and energy.

2. What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a unit mass of a substance by one degree Celsius.

3. How is specific heat capacity measured?

Specific heat capacity is measured by conducting an experiment where a known amount of heat is added to a substance and the resulting change in temperature is recorded. The specific heat capacity can then be calculated using the equation q = mcΔT, where q is the amount of heat, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. What factors affect specific heat capacity?

The factors that affect specific heat capacity include the type of substance, its phase (solid, liquid, or gas), and the temperature. Substances with stronger intermolecular forces tend to have higher specific heat capacities, and as temperature increases, so does the specific heat capacity.

5. How is specific heat capacity used in everyday life?

Specific heat capacity is used in everyday life in various ways, such as in cooking and heating systems. It helps us understand how much energy is needed to heat up or cool down a substance, which is essential for cooking food or adjusting the temperature in our homes. It is also used in industries to design efficient cooling or heating systems for various processes.