Thermodynamic cycle, work, energy heat input solving

In summary: In step 1, for example, the gas is being compressed, so the work is positive. In step 4, the gas is being expanded, so the work is negative.
sm1t

Homework Statement

An ideal diatomic gas, in a cylinder with a moveable piston undergoes the rectangular cyclic process shown below. Assume that the temperature is always such that the translational and rotational degrees of freedom are active but the vibrational modes are "frozen out". Also, assume that the only type of work done on the gas is the quasi-static compression-expansion work.

The diagram show a square process, 1) p1 to p2 at constand v1 2) v1 to v2 at constant p2 3)p2 to p1 at constant v2 4) v2 to v1 at constant p1

For each of the four steps 1) through 4), compute the work done on the gas, the heat added to the gas and the change in the internal energy of the gas. Express all answers in terms of P1, P2, V1 and V2 and suggest how each of the steps in the cycle could be physically achieved.

Homework Equations

PV = nRT
U = 1/2 NfkT

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a bit thrown off by the quasistatic work, for the pressure change parts I would have used W = integral of PdV but quasistatic work means its done over an infinite amount of time, so do I not use that?

Physics news on Phys.org
sm1t said:
I'm a bit thrown off by the quasistatic work, for the pressure change parts I would have used W = integral of PdV but quasistatic work means its done over an infinite amount of time, so do I not use that?

I hope you mean "volume change" or "constant-pressure" here! [itex]W=\int P\,dV[/itex] isn't meant for constant-volume, pressure changing processes.

It's typical to assume quasistatic processes; that part is OK.

sm1t said:

Homework Statement

An ideal diatomic gas, in a cylinder with a moveable piston undergoes the rectangular cyclic process shown below. Assume that the temperature is always such that the translational and rotational degrees of freedom are active but the vibrational modes are "frozen out". Also, assume that the only type of work done on the gas is the quasi-static compression-expansion work.

The diagram show a square process, 1) p1 to p2 at constand v1 2) v1 to v2 at constant p2 3)p2 to p1 at constant v2 4) v2 to v1 at constant p1

For each of the four steps 1) through 4), compute the work done on the gas, the heat added to the gas and the change in the internal energy of the gas. Express all answers in terms of P1, P2, V1 and V2 and suggest how each of the steps in the cycle could be physically achieved.
A quasi-static process is one in which the system is arbitrarily close to equilibrium at all times during the process. Don't worry about it in this problem.

The work done is always [itex]\int PdV[/itex] where P is the external/internal pressure (external and internal pressure will be arbitrarily close since it is a quasi static process). On the PV diagram how is this work shown graphically?

Since P does not change for 2 and 4 and V does not change for 1 and 3, it is pretty easy to determine the work done on the gas. I think that was Mapes' point. Be careful with the sign. When is positive work being done on the gas? When is negative work being done on the gas?

AM

1. What is a thermodynamic cycle?

A thermodynamic cycle is a series of processes that a system undergoes, where the final state of the system is the same as the initial state. It involves the transfer of energy as heat and work to and from the system, resulting in a change in the system's internal energy.

2. What is work in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, work is defined as the transfer of energy from one system to another, or from one form to another, due to the application of a force. It can be calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance over which the force is applied.

3. How is energy involved in a thermodynamic cycle?

Energy is involved in a thermodynamic cycle through the transfer of heat and work. Heat is the transfer of thermal energy between objects at different temperatures, while work is the transfer of energy due to the application of a force. In a thermodynamic cycle, the energy input and output must be equal to maintain a stable system.

4. How do you calculate the heat input in a thermodynamic cycle?

The heat input in a thermodynamic cycle can be calculated using the formula Q = mCΔT, where Q is the heat input, m is the mass of the substance, C is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature. This formula is based on the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat input minus the work output.

5. What are the different types of thermodynamic cycles?

There are several types of thermodynamic cycles, including the Carnot cycle, Rankine cycle, Otto cycle, and Brayton cycle. These cycles differ in the type of working fluid used, the processes involved, and the purpose of the cycle. For example, the Carnot cycle is a theoretical cycle used to demonstrate the maximum efficiency that any heat engine can achieve, while the Rankine cycle is commonly used in steam power plants.