Thermodynamic properties - Isochronic process - First law

In summary: Also, you should use the specific internal energy values at the initial pressure when calculating the internal energy of the initial state and the final pressure when calculating the internal energy of the final state. So, you will need to interpolate between the values in the Tables. This is not difficult to do. Just look at the saturation temperature corresponding to the initial pressure and the final pressure. Then pick a temperature in between these two values. Go to the Superheated tables and find the specific internal energy corresponding to this temperature and the initial and final pressures. Take the average of these two values and use it as the specific internal energy in the calculation of the internal energy of the initial state and the final state. You are making
Kicior94

Homework Statement

An amount of water substance having a mass of 1 kg is contained in a vessel at a pressure of 1 MPa. It is heated for some time after which the pressure is 3 MPa. The volume of the vessel is 0.1 m3. Assuming no work is done by or to the substance, calculate the final temperature of, and the heating done to, the contents of the vessel.

Homework Equations

I am not sure about them. I believe, they would be:

## m=m_g + m_f ## , ##V=v_f m_f +v_g m_g## and ##PV=nRT## , ##ΔQ+ΔW=ΔU##
Thermodynamic and transport properties of fluids.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have stated that ##m_f+m_g=m=1kg## and ##v_g m_g + v_f m_f = 0.1 m^3##. It is also known that ##P_1=1MPa=10 bar## and ##P_2=30 bar##.

I have attempted to read the value of a temperature from 'Saturated Water and Steam section' for ##P=10bar## which would give me ##179.9°C##. Assuming that volume is constant throughout the whole process as the mixture is in a vessel it gave me ##{\frac{P_2 T_1}{P_1}}=T_2## but it gave me the wrong answer.

I have then tried to obtain the value of ##v_g## for 'Saturated Water and Steam' and it the value would be 0.1944 ##[kg/m^3]##. Solving for ##m_f## and ##m_g## by assuming that since ##m_f+m_g=1kg## and so ##dryness fraction=x=mg/1=mg## did actually either got me nowhere or I just do not know what to do with these values.

I need help to know what kind of assumptions should I use and have I chosen appropriate equations for solving this problem. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You got off to a very good start, but then you hit a snag. Let's confine attention to the initial state. Your determination of the dryness fraction was not correct. You are aware that there is both liquid and vapor in the container to begin with, correct? So you need to take into account both the specific volume of the liquid and the specific volume of the vapor. Let x (kg) represent the mass of vapor in the tank and 1-x represent the mass of liquid in the tank. In terms of x, what is the volume of vapor and what is the volume of liquid. These have to add up to 0.1 m^3. So, you can use this to solve for x. Once you know x, you can determine the initial internal energy of the water in the tank using the specific internal energy of the vapor and the specific internal energy of the liquid. Try this, and let's see what you get.

Chet

Hi Chet,

Thanks for replying.

So I attempted again and I think I again have hitten a wall:

Reading from the tables for Saturated Water and Steam for ##P=10 bar## : ##v_g=0.1944## and ##v_f=0.001128## and assuming that ##V=v_f (1-x) + v_g x##
##0.1= (1-x) 0.001128 + x 0.1994##
##x=0.511##

Then using equation ##e=(1-x)e_f+xe_fg## where ##e_g## and ##e_f## are values for ##P=10 bar## read from Saturated Water and Steam table I have got:
##e=1693##

Now I do not know with what do I compare that? I noted that final pressure is above the critical pressure point for water. Should it guide me somewhere?

Thanks

Kicior94 said:
Hi Chet,

Thanks for replying.

So I attempted again and I think I again have hitten a wall:

Reading from the tables for Saturated Water and Steam for ##P=10 bar## : ##v_g=0.1944## and ##v_f=0.001128## and assuming that ##V=v_f (1-x) + v_g x##
##0.1= (1-x) 0.001128 + x 0.1994##
##x=0.511##

Then using equation ##e=(1-x)e_f+xe_fg## where ##e_g## and ##e_f## are values for ##P=10 bar## read from Saturated Water and Steam table I have got:
##e=1693##

Now I do not know with what do I compare that? I noted that final pressure is above the critical pressure point for water. Should it guide me somewhere?

Thanks
Sure. Look in the Superheated tables. But, first you need to calculate the average specific volume of the tank contents (if you have not already done so).

What are thermodynamic properties?

Thermodynamic properties are physical characteristics of a system that are necessary to describe its state and behavior. These include temperature, pressure, volume, and energy.

What is an isochronic process?

An isochronic process is a thermodynamic process in which the time taken for the process is constant. This means that the system undergoes a change in its state without any change in the time duration of the process.

What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total energy of an isolated system remains constant.

What are the different types of isochronic processes?

There are three types of isochronic processes: isothermal, isobaric, and isochoric. In an isothermal process, the temperature of the system remains constant. In an isobaric process, the pressure of the system remains constant. In an isochoric process, the volume of the system remains constant.

How is the first law of thermodynamics applied to isochronic processes?

The first law of thermodynamics can be applied to isochronic processes by considering the changes in the thermodynamic properties of the system. The law states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. This can be used to calculate the change in energy for different types of isochronic processes.