1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamic Question (refrigerator)

1. Apr 26, 2009 #1
    I'm having a little trouble in completing this problem. I would appreciate your answer if anyone knows how to solve it. Thanks

An ideal refrigerator removes heat at a rate of 0.15kW from an interior temperature of 1 degree celsius. The exhaust from the refrigerator is 45 degrees celsius. How much electrical power is used.

*Note that this is a refrigerator problem (reverse process from a carnot engine)

I have found the efficiency using Th/Tc - 1 = .29 I do not know how to proceed after this.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2009 #2
    Remember efficieny is always

what you get / what you pay for.

so in this case its
    Ql/Win

and for the reversible carnot this comes to:

COP = Ql/(Qh-Ql)

You must remember the for refrigiration cycles its not technically efficiecny, its coefficient of performance we use. This avoids the confision of having efficienys over 100%.

Where you were going wrong was you were taking the efficieny for a carnot cycle and applying it directly.

4. Apr 27, 2009 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Coefficient of Performance is Qc/W. W = Qh - Qc.

So:

COP = (Qc /(Qh - Qc)

1/COP = Qh/Qc - 1

For a Carnot cycle, this becomes:

1/COP = Th/Tc - 1

You have to determine the COP from the temperatures. Using the value for Qc you can determine W.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook