Thermodynamic Question (refrigerator)

In summary: W.In summary, the problem is asking for the electrical power used by an ideal refrigerator that removes heat at a rate of 0.15kW from an interior temperature of 1 degree celsius with an exhaust temperature of 45 degrees celsius. The efficiency can be found using Th/Tc - 1 = .29, which is then used to determine the coefficient of performance (COP). The equation for COP is (Qc /(Qh - Qc)), and for a Carnot cycle it becomes (Th/Tc - 1). From the COP, the amount of electrical power used can be calculated, which is 0.179 kW.
gotrilum
I'm having a little trouble in completing this problem. I would appreciate your answer if anyone knows how to solve it. Thanks

An ideal refrigerator removes heat at a rate of 0.15kW from an interior temperature of 1 degree celsius. The exhaust from the refrigerator is 45 degrees celsius. How much electrical power is used.

*Note that this is a refrigerator problem (reverse process from a carnot engine)

I have found the efficiency using Th/Tc - 1 = .29 I do not know how to proceed after this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember efficieny is always

what you get / what you pay for.

so in this case its
Ql/Win

and for the reversible carnot this comes to:

COP = Ql/(Qh-Ql)

You must remember the for refrigiration cycles its not technically efficiecny, its coefficient of performance we use. This avoids the confision of having efficienys over 100%.

Where you were going wrong was you were taking the efficieny for a carnot cycle and applying it directly.

gotrilum said:
I'm having a little trouble in completing this problem. I would appreciate your answer if anyone knows how to solve it. Thanks

An ideal refrigerator removes heat at a rate of 0.15kW from an interior temperature of 1 degree celsius. The exhaust from the refrigerator is 45 degrees celsius. How much electrical power is used.

*Note that this is a refrigerator problem (reverse process from a carnot engine)

I have found the efficiency using Th/Tc - 1 = .29 I do not know how to proceed after this.
Coefficient of Performance is Qc/W. W = Qh - Qc.

So:

COP = (Qc /(Qh - Qc)

1/COP = Qh/Qc - 1

For a Carnot cycle, this becomes:

1/COP = Th/Tc - 1

You have to determine the COP from the temperatures. Using the value for Qc you can determine W.

AM

What is the basic principle behind a refrigerator?

The basic principle behind a refrigerator is the transfer of heat from a colder area to a warmer area, using a coolant and a compressor. This process creates a cooling effect inside the refrigerator.

Why does a refrigerator feel cold inside?

A refrigerator feels cold inside because the coolant inside the refrigerator absorbs heat from the items stored inside, creating a lower temperature.

How does a refrigerator maintain a consistent temperature?

A refrigerator maintains a consistent temperature through the use of a thermostat, which senses the temperature inside and adjusts the compressor to maintain the desired temperature.

What happens to the heat that is removed from inside the refrigerator?

The heat that is removed from inside the refrigerator is released into the surrounding environment through the condenser coils at the back of the refrigerator.

What are the most common types of refrigerants used in refrigerators?

The most common types of refrigerants used in refrigerators are hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) such as R-134a and R-410A, as well as hydrocarbons (HCs) such as isobutane and propane. These refrigerants are chosen for their low environmental impact and high efficiency.