Thermodynamics 1st law question - closed system

In summary, the gas in a closed system heated by 40kj and then worked by 100kj will reach a final temperature of 281K and pressure of 140kN/m2.
chuffy

Homework Statement

1kg of helium in a closed system has 40kj added by heating & 100kj removed by work during a reversible polytropic process.
The initial temp of the gas is 300K & the initial pressure is 100kN/m2

Q. find the final temp of the gas & pressure

Homework Equations

given: Cp=14.57 kgK & M=4

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi guys, I can't get my head around how to work out the final pressure (P2)

I got the Temp correct (T2) bu doing the following:

R=Ru/M
R =2.0785

Cv = R +Cp
Cv = 7.2715

closed system so V= const

Qnet = -100 -40 =-140
qnet = Q/m

qnet = Cv(T2-T1)
T2 = 281K

Can't think how to work out P2 when I don't have n

any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
closed system doesn't mean that volume is constant instead it means that the system cannot exchange matter but it can exchange energy.

Likes 1 person
I'm not entirely sure if this would work, but you could try applying the ideal gas law.

P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2

Then you would only have to solve for P2. (Since the system is closed, V1 and V2 would cancel).

You have calculated Qnet wrong.Qnet is the net heat change of the system.

physics&math said:
I'm not entirely sure if this would work, but you could try applying the ideal gas law.

P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2

Then you would only have to solve for P2. (Since the system is closed, V1 and V2 would cancel).

Volume is not constant

yeah I've got the const vol bit wong

You don't know P2 and you don't know n, but you have enough information to solve for both of these. What you need is two equations in these two unknowns.

What is the equation for W in terms of P2 and n for a reversible polytropic process?

What is the equation relating pressure, temperature, and n for a polytropic process?

You already know W and T2.

Chet

1. What is the first law of thermodynamics for a closed system?

The first law of thermodynamics for a closed system states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How is energy conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total energy remains constant, but it can change forms. This means that the sum of all the energy in the system, including potential and kinetic energy, remains the same.

3. What is an example of a closed system in thermodynamics?

An insulated thermos is an example of a closed system in thermodynamics. The energy in the thermos, whether in the form of hot coffee or cold water, cannot be transferred to or from the outside environment.

4. Can work be done in a closed system?

Yes, work can be done in a closed system. This can occur through processes such as compression or expansion of a gas, which require the transfer of energy in the form of work.

5. How is the first law of thermodynamics related to the conservation of energy?

The first law of thermodynamics is a statement of the conservation of energy. It states that the total energy in a closed system remains constant, and any changes in the system's energy are due to the transfer or conversion of energy from one form to another.