Thermodynamics: 2 Pistons connected by a rod

In summary, the problem involves an adiabatic but not reversible process with no heat transfer and friction present. The first law of thermodynamics is applied to determine that U = -W. The work done is assumed to be 0 since the system contains both gases, the pistons, and the rod, with atmospheric pressure being 0. The forces acting on the rod must also balance for the final pressures. The net work is zero, but the work on gas in one cylinder must be equal to the work on gas in the other cylinder. The changes in volume in both cylinders are related.
flyers

Homework Statement

309mpv7.jpg

Homework Equations

First Law, U = Q-W
We also need to apply a force equillibrium on the pistons

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the problem says the walls and pistons are insulated, we know there is no heat transfer and the process is adiabatic but not reversible because of friction. So U = -W. I don't know the path and so I don't know how I could determine the work done but if I consider the system which contains both gases, the pistons and the rod (and the case where atm pressure = 0) then the work done is just 0 so U = 0. Therefore naCv(T2-T1)+nbCv(T2-T1) = 0. I also know that for final pressures, the forces acting on the rod must balance so pressure A*piston area of A = pressure B*piston area of B.

Beyond this I'm not so sure what to do since I don't know much on the final state variables. What confuses me most is how it would be possible to calculate work since the pressure is not constant and the path is unknown.

Physics news on Phys.org
The net work is indeed zero (neglecting the forces of friction). However, the work of gas in one cylinder must be equal to the work on gas in the other cylinder. You could also note that the changes of volumes in both cylinders are related quite simply.

1. What is the basic concept of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of energy and its transformation from one form to another, particularly in relation to heat, work, and temperature.

2. How does the 2-piston system work?

The 2-piston system consists of two pistons connected by a rod in a closed container. When one piston is pushed down, the volume decreases and the gas inside is compressed, causing an increase in temperature and pressure. This increase in pressure then forces the other piston to move up, pushing out the gas and allowing it to expand.

3. What are the first and second laws of thermodynamics?

The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law states that in any energy conversion, some energy will be lost as heat and the overall entropy (disorder) of the universe will increase.

4. How does thermodynamics apply to everyday life?

Thermodynamics is relevant in many aspects of everyday life, such as heating and cooling systems, car engines, and cooking. It helps us understand how energy is used and transferred in these processes, and how we can make them more efficient.

5. What is the significance of the 2-piston system in thermodynamics?

The 2-piston system is a simplified model for understanding the basic principles of thermodynamics, such as the relationships between pressure, volume, and temperature. It also demonstrates the concept of work done by a gas, which is an important aspect of thermodynamics.