Thermodynamics and heavy use of partial derivatives

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of partial derivatives in thermodynamics and the prevalence of approximations in the field. Partial derivatives are used to determine changes in a substance's state by varying one property while keeping others constant. These concepts should have been covered in calculus courses. Thermodynamics heavily relies on approximations, as do other fields of physics.
member 392791
Hello,

I am not completely certain why in thermodynamics, it seems that everything is done as a partial derivative, and I am wondering why? My guess is because it seems like variables are always being held constant when taking derivatives of certain things, but it is still somewhat a mystery to me.

Also, I noticed since starting my chemical engineering class, a lot of things are approximated, it seems like there aren't a lot of closed form solutions to thermodynamic problems and numerical methods must be used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
In thermo, in order to completely define the state of a substance, it usually takes more than one property (like pressure, temperature, specific volume,etc.) to do so. When you want to find out what happens during a change of state, for example, then you vary one property while keeping the others constant, which is what partial derivatives are designed to do. It's unclear why this should be a mystery; after all, these concepts should have been covered in your calculus courses already.

I had a professor who said that thermodynamics is the theory of partial derivatives ;)

But I agree with SteamKing that there is no deep reason for the dissemination of partial derivatives throughout thermodynamics. It is one of the most predominant tools of calculation and theory in thermodynamics because of the reasons given by SteamKing. You will notice in physics that different physical theories make heavy and frequent use of very specific things from math. Electrodynamics does this with vector calculus, general relativity does this with tensor calculus and so on.

As far as approximations go, this isn't specific to thermodynamics. Approximations are (rightfully) used heavily throughout physics and for obvious reasons.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It studies how these factors affect physical systems and explores the principles behind energy conversion and transfer.

2. How is thermodynamics applied in real-world situations?

Thermodynamics has various practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, chemistry, and biology. It can be used to design and improve energy-efficient systems, understand chemical reactions, and study the behavior of matter at different temperatures and pressures.

3. What is the role of partial derivatives in thermodynamics?

Partial derivatives are mathematical tools used in thermodynamics to describe changes in a system's properties with respect to multiple independent variables. They are particularly useful in analyzing complex systems with multiple variables, such as thermodynamic processes.

4. Why is heavy use of partial derivatives important in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, many properties of a system are interdependent, and partial derivatives allow us to understand how changes in one variable affect others. Heavy use of partial derivatives helps us to accurately model and predict the behavior of thermodynamic systems.

5. How can one use partial derivatives to optimize a thermodynamic process?

By using partial derivatives, one can determine the conditions that will yield the most efficient and desirable outcome in a thermodynamic process. This can include maximizing energy output, minimizing waste, or achieving a specific temperature or pressure. Partial derivatives also help identify potential inefficiencies in a process and suggest ways to improve it.