Thermodynamics: box with a moving wall

In summary, there is a question about the final pressure of a gas when a wall is allowed to move freely and the wall is insulated. The problem gives four options, but none of them are correct. The correct answer is only valid if the wall is forced to move gradually and is insulated, and the 2 in the denominator is corrected. If the wall is allowed to move freely and is not insulated, the final pressure is 2P. It is also possible to approximate the solution if the wall is insulated and allowed to move freely, assuming that the pressure remains constant throughout the process.
Das apashanka
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
I have a doubt regarding the answer, a box separated by a movable wall has two compartments filled by a monotonic gas .Initially the volumes are equal but the pressure are 3P and P respectively .When the wall is allowed to move the final pressure is
a.(2/3)γP
b.3(2/3)γP
C.(1+31/γ)γP/2
D.(31/γ/1+31/γ)γP
I have a doubt regarding option c as in the denominator I m getting 2ϒ
I want to clarify whether I m right

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are right, I also obtain 2γ.

Please show your work.

3PVϒ=pV1ϒ
PVϒ=pV2ϒ
and V1+V2=2V
Where p=final state pressure and V1 and V2 are final state volume of the two boxes,V is the initial state volume
Solving the above three the result comes

The equations you are attempting to use are valid strictly to the case of an adiabatic reversible expansion and/or compression. If the wall is allowed to move with no constraint, the process will not be reversible, and the equations will not apply. Only if, during the process, the motion of the wall is controlled externally in very gradual increments will it be possible to carry out the process reversibly.

What is the exact statement of the problem?

Likes Delta2
Chestermiller said:
The equations you are attempting to use are valid strictly to the case of an adiabatic reversible expansion and/or compression. If the wall is allowed to move with no constraint, the process will not be reversible, and the equations will not apply. Only if, during the process, the motion of the wall is controlled externally in very gradual increments will it be possible to carry out the process reversibly.

What is the exact statement of the problem?
the four options are given and only one is right,using the arguments given previous I obtained option c with an amendment I want to clarify whether I have done right and what will be the correct option

Das apashanka said:
the four options are given and only one is right,using the arguments given previous I obtained option c with an amendment I want to clarify whether I have done right and what will be the correct option
What is the EXACT statement of the problem?

Is the wall force to move gradually (so that the volume changes of the gases are reversible) or is it allowed to move freely (unconstrained)? Is the wall insulated (so that no heat can flow from one side to the other), or is it conductive of heat?

Chestermiller said:
Is the wall force to move gradually (so that the volume changes of the gases are reversible) or is it allowed to move freely (unconstrained)? Is the wall insulated (so that no heat can flow from one side to the other), or is it conductive of heat?
it is allowed to move freely and the wall is insulated

Das apashanka said:
it is allowed to move freely and the wall is insulated
If this is the case, then none of the answers is correct.

Chestermiller said:
If this is the case, then none of the answers is correct.
ok thank you

Das apashanka said:
ok thank you
If the wall is forced to move gradually (not freely) and the wall is insulated, then the correct answer is C, if the 2 in the denominator is corrected to be ##2^{\gamma}##. If the wall is allowed to move freely and is not insulated, the final pressure is 2P.

It is also possible to approximate the solution to this problem if the wall is insulated and allowed to move freely if we assume that, on both sides of the wall, the pressure throughout the process is constant and equal to the final value of the pressure.

Chestermiller said:
If the wall is forced to move gradually (not freely) and the wall is insulated, then the correct answer is C, if the 2 in the denominator is corrected to be ##2^{\gamma}##. If the wall is allowed to move freely and is not insulated, the final pressure is 2P.

It is also possible to approximate the solution to this problem if the wall is insulated and allowed to move freely if we assume that, on both sides of the wall, the pressure throughout the process is constant and equal to the final value of the pressure.
thanks it helps me in clearing the concept

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, temperature, and energy. It studies how energy is transferred and transformed in various systems.

What is a "box with a moving wall" in thermodynamics?

A "box with a moving wall" is a simplified model used in thermodynamics to study the behavior of gases. It consists of a box with a fixed volume, containing a gas, and one of the walls is able to move.

How does the movement of the wall affect the gas inside the box?

The movement of the wall changes the volume of the box, which in turn affects the pressure, temperature, and density of the gas inside. This change in volume also results in a change in the internal energy of the gas.

What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

How is thermodynamics important in everyday life?

Thermodynamics has many practical applications in our daily lives, such as in heating and cooling systems, engines and turbines, refrigerators, and even in cooking. It helps us understand and improve the efficiency of these processes and devices.