1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics -- calculating fluid mass

1. Nov 24, 2015 #1
    This is quite possibly very basic, but I have a horrible habit of forgetting basics as I move up the ladder in difficulty during the semester. This is a question regarding Thermodynamics, taken from Chapter 1; Introduction and the First Law of Thermodynamics of the book Applied Thermodynamics for Engineering Technologist (5th Edition).

I am including the whole question just to avoid any misunderstandings.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A fluid at 0.7 bar occupying 0.09m3 is compressed reversibly to a pressure of 3.5 bar according to law pvn = constant. The fluid is then heated reversibly at constant volume until the pressure is 4 bar; the spesific volume is then 0.05m3 / kg. A reversible expansion according to a law pv2 = constant restores the fluid to its initial state. Sketch the cycle to a p-v diagram and calculate:

i) The mass of fluid present (THIS is the one I cannot seem to figure out.. basics be damned)
    ii) the value of n in the first process.
    iii) the net work of the cycle.

2. Relevant equations
    It is a fluid, not explicitly stated to be gas or liquid, so the basic pv = nRT doesn't necessarily apply here.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm stumped, really. I have the answer (0.0753 kg) but I cannot figure out how to get to it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Did you do that?

To get the mass, you will need to use the specific volume given.

4. Nov 24, 2015 #3

DrClaude

I just calculated it myself, and I'm off by a factor of 10. Could you please check all the numerical values you have given in the problem?

5. Nov 24, 2015 #4
    Okay, so I rechecked the values, and the Spesific volume is meant to be 0.5, NOT 0.05. One slight tap too much on the 0 there.

Also, I did sketch the p-v diagram, yes. I'm pretty sure I got the understanding of how the process looks.

And when you say that I need to use Spesific volume, it strikes me how stupid I have actually been trying to figure this out. With that in mind, which formula would you suggest looking into for calculating the mass when I don't actually have the current volume? It's a pvn = constant, so I can't figure it out with the p1V1 = p2V2

6. Nov 24, 2015 #5

DrClaude

Good, then I get the correct result.

Then you should see that there are two processes that link the initial state to the unknown volume.

7. Nov 24, 2015 #6
    Yes there is. The 1 -> 2 and 3 ->4 both link the process from the initial volume to the unknown. Does it have anything to do with the pv2 = constant that is the exponent for the revesible process happening in 3 -> 4?

Or put in this way, I can figure out the volume using p1V12 = p3V32, where V3 = V2

8. Nov 24, 2015 #7

DrClaude

Correct.

9. Nov 24, 2015 #8
    Then I have my answer and I am greatly appreciative of your help. Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted