Thermodynamics Control Volume evaluation 2 inlet

In summary, Figure P6.95 provides steady-state test data for a control volume with two entering streams of air mixing to form a single exiting stream. The data sheet indicates that the pressure of the exiting stream could be either 1.0 MPa or 1.8 MPa. Assuming ideal gas behavior for air with Cp = 1.02 kJ/kg.K, you need to determine if either or both of these pressure values can be correct. You have already calculated the enthalpies for the two streams using thermo tables, but are struggling with finding the change in enthalpy and the outlet temperature. Some suggestions for your next steps include considering if you should be using tables or ideal gas behavior, and testing each pressure value
PCPanos
Figure P6.95 provides steady-state test data for a control
volume in which two entering streams of air mix to form a
single exiting stream. Stray heat transfer and kinetic and
potential energy effects are negligible. A hard-to-read
photocopy of the data sheet indicates that the pressure of
the exiting stream is either 1.0 MPa or 1.8 MPa. Assuming
the ideal gas model for air with Cp = 1.02 kJ/kg . K, determine
if either or both of these pressure values can be correct.

Figure shows that:
T1 = 800k
P1 = 1.8Mpa
m(dot)1=1kg/s

T2 = 650K
P2 = 1.0Mpa
m(dot)2 = 2 kg/s

P3 = 1.0Mpa OR 1.8 Mpa (to ues for calculations about wether it is even possible)

i found h1 = 821.95, h2 = 659.84 using thermo tables

So far i have used 0 = m1(h1) + m2(h2) - m3(h3) to find that h3 is 713.88

Im really struggling with the concept of two inlets and finding the change (DELTA)h to use to find the outlet Temp right now.. using (DELTA)h = Cp(DELTA T)...

Where should i go next? I believe i need to find the Delta h but I am really not sure. I've spent hours on this.
Thanks!
PCP

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have some ideas for you to consider. Are you supposed to be using the tables, or are you supposed to be assuming ideal gas behavior? If you are assuming ideal gas behavior, you can calculate the final temperature. Then test each condition to see if the entropy increases or decreases for each of the pressures. If you are using the tables, basically the same thing (particularly if your tables have entropies). Look up in you table h=713.88, and see what the temperatures are at the two pressures (they should be about the same). Then get the entropies from the table, and calculate the change in entropy through the device for the two choices of pressure.

1. What is a control volume in thermodynamics?

A control volume is a specific region in space that is used to analyze and study the flow of energy and matter in a thermodynamic system. It can be an imaginary or physical boundary that separates the system from its surroundings.

2. How is a control volume different from a control system?

A control volume is a fixed region in space, whereas a control system is a fixed mass or substance. In other words, a control volume allows for the flow of energy and matter across its boundaries, while a control system does not.

3. What is the purpose of using a control volume in thermodynamics?

A control volume allows for the analysis of real-world systems by simplifying them into smaller, more manageable parts. It also helps in understanding the energy and matter transfer processes that occur within a system.

4. How is the evaluation of a control volume done in thermodynamics?

The evaluation of a control volume is done by applying the principles of conservation of mass, energy, and momentum. This involves setting up equations and solving them using mathematical techniques to determine the behavior and properties of the system.

5. What is the significance of evaluating 2 inlets in a control volume?

Evaluating 2 inlets in a control volume allows for the analysis of more complex systems where there are multiple points of energy and matter transfer. This helps in understanding the overall behavior and performance of the system and can aid in making improvements or optimizations.