Thermodynamics: Pressure and temperature from turbine

In summary, the problem involves finding the temperature and pressure at the exit of a turbine receiving air from a combuster in an aircraft engine. The turbine is assumed to be ideal with an efficiency of 1. The energy balance equation is used to eliminate the work term, and the entropy equation for an ideal gas is used to eliminate the change in entropy. However, this leaves two unknowns and another equation is needed to solve for both T2 and P2. The specific volume term is considered, but using the ideal gas law adds another unknown. The given values for P1 and T1 are 549 KPa and 1273 K, respectively, and the desired values for P2 and T2 are 293 KPa and
Henry Stonebury

Homework Statement

A turbine is receiving air from a combuster inside of an aircraft engine. At the inlet of the turbine I know that
T1 = 1273 K and P1 = 549 KPa, and the velocity of the air is essentially 0.
The turbine is assumed to be ideal, so its efficiency is exactly 1.

Also: R = 287 J/KgK, Cv = 716 J/KgK, and Cp = Cv + R = 1003 J/KgK

What I am trying to find is the temperature and the pressure at the outlet(T2, P2).

Homework Equations

The energy balance equation for control volumes:
d(Ecv)/dt = Qdot - Wdot + mdot*[(h1 - h2) + (V1^2 - V2^2)/2 + g(z1 - z2)]

Change of Entropy for ideal gas:
deltaS = Cp*ln(T2/T1) - R*ln(P2/P1)

and of course the Ideal Gas law, if it is useful here:
Pv = RT, where v is specific volume

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I considered the energy balance equation. Energy is not changing in this process so d(Ecv)/dt = 0. Also, kinetic and potential energy are not changing so their respective terms are also made to be 0. There is no heat transfer into or out of the turbine so the Qdot term is also 0.

I am left with:

0 = -Wdot + mdot(h1 - h2)

Rearranging:

-Wdot/mdot = h2 - h1

h2 - h1 can be replaced with Cp(T2 - T1), so

-Wdot/mdot = Cp(T2 - T1)

At this point I start to become unsure of myself, as I am not completely sure what to do with the work term here. I decided to move on and look at the entropy to see if I could get further.

I assumed that this process is isentropic, so deltaS should be 0. The reason why I chose to assume this is because of the fact that the efficiency = 1 for this turbine.

so using the entropy equation for ideal gas:

0 = Cp*ln(T2/T1) - R*ln(P2/P1)

I get:

T2/T1 = (P2/P1)^(R/Cp)

This is where I hit a dead end. I have two unknowns in this equation, so I would need another equation in order to solve for both of them. I thought of using the Ideal Gas law here, but I realized that using it would add an extra unknown: specific volume.

So all I am left with is that work term in the energy balance equation. In my textbook I found that:

Wdot/mdot = int(vdP)

so I decided to try it. I replaced v with RT/P from the ideal gas law and tried integrating like so:

int( RT/P dP ) = int( Cp dT)
int( R/P dP ) = int( Cp/T dT)

and to my amazement this gave me: R*ln(P2/P1) = Cp*ln(T2/T1), which is of course equal to my entropy equation from before.

So now I am hopelessly lost, and hopefully somebody can shed some light on what I am doing wrong here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Henry Stonebury said:

Homework Statement

A turbine is receiving air from a combuster inside of an aircraft engine. At the inlet of the turbine I know that
T1 = 1273 K and P1 = 549 KPa, and the velocity of the air is essentially 0.
The turbine is assumed to be ideal, so its efficiency is exactly 1.

Also: R = 287 J/KgK, Cv = 716 J/KgK, and Cp = Cv + R = 1003 J/KgK

What I am trying to find is the temperature and the pressure at the outlet(T2, P2).

Homework Equations

The energy balance equation for control volumes:
d(Ecv)/dt = Qdot - Wdot + mdot*[(h1 - h2) + (V1^2 - V2^2)/2 + g(z1 - z2)]

Change of Entropy for ideal gas:
deltaS = Cp*ln(T2/T1) - R*ln(P2/P1)

and of course the Ideal Gas law, if it is useful here:
Pv = RT, where v is specific volume

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I considered the energy balance equation. Energy is not changing in this process so d(Ecv)/dt = 0. Also, kinetic and potential energy are not changing so their respective terms are also made to be 0. There is no heat transfer into or out of the turbine so the Qdot term is also 0.

I am left with:

0 = -Wdot + mdot(h1 - h2)

Rearranging:

-Wdot/mdot = h2 - h1

h2 - h1 can be replaced with Cp(T2 - T1), so

-Wdot/mdot = Cp(T2 - T1)

At this point I start to become unsure of myself, as I am not completely sure what to do with the work term here. I decided to move on and look at the entropy to see if I could get further.

I assumed that this process is isentropic, so deltaS should be 0. The reason why I chose to assume this is because of the fact that the efficiency = 1 for this turbine.

so using the entropy equation for ideal gas:

0 = Cp*ln(T2/T1) - R*ln(P2/P1)

I get:

T2/T1 = (P2/P1)^(R/Cp)

This is where I hit a dead end. I have two unknowns in this equation, so I would need another equation in order to solve for both of them. I thought of using the Ideal Gas law here, but I realized that using it would add an extra unknown: specific volume.

So all I am left with is that work term in the energy balance equation. In my textbook I found that:

Wdot/mdot = int(vdP)

so I decided to try it. I replaced v with RT/P from the ideal gas law and tried integrating like so:

int( RT/P dP ) = int( Cp dT)
int( R/P dP ) = int( Cp/T dT)

and to my amazement this gave me: R*ln(P2/P1) = Cp*ln(T2/T1), which is of course equal to my entropy equation from before.

So now I am hopelessly lost, and hopefully somebody can shed some light on what I am doing wrong here.

You're given P1 as the gas comes out of the combuster and enters the turbine. What is P2 at the exit of the turbine? What should it be?

P2 and T2 are the temperature and pressure at the exit of the turbine, and in this problem they are both unknowns.

I do however know what their values are supposed to be: P2 = 293KPa, T2 = 1063K
I just do not know how to get there with what I have.

Henry Stonebury said:
P2 and T2 are the temperature and pressure at the exit of the turbine, and in this problem they are both unknowns.

I do however know what their values are supposed to be: P2 = 293KPa, T2 = 1063K
I just do not know how to get there with what I have.
You must have been given some more information about the turbine which you have overlooked.

Unless there is something specific happening with this turbine, the exhaust pressure is usually taken to be atmospheric pressure.

What is the problem statement given to you verbatim?

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that studies the relationships between heat, work, energy, and temperature. It is concerned with how these quantities change in different systems and how they affect each other.

2. How does pressure affect a turbine?

Pressure plays a crucial role in the operation of a turbine. As high-pressure steam enters the turbine, it causes the blades to rotate, generating mechanical energy. The pressure decreases as the steam flows through the turbine, which allows it to expand and do work on the blades.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and pressure in a turbine?

In a turbine, the temperature and pressure are inversely related. As the temperature increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa. This is known as the ideal gas law, which states that pressure and temperature are directly proportional if the volume is constant.

4. What is the purpose of controlling pressure and temperature in a turbine?

The control of pressure and temperature is crucial in a turbine to ensure efficient and safe operation. If the pressure is too high, it can cause damage to the turbine, while too low pressure can lead to a decrease in energy output. Similarly, maintaining the correct temperature ensures optimal performance and prevents overheating.

5. How is pressure and temperature measured in a turbine?

In a turbine, pressure is typically measured using a pressure gauge, which converts the pressure into an electrical signal. Temperature can be measured using thermocouples or resistance temperature detectors (RTDs), which are sensors that convert temperature into electrical signals.