Thermodynamics: deriving the quantum volume

In summary: That page has ##L = \frac{3}{2} \lambda## which is equivalent to ##\lambda = \frac {2}{3} L##.Similarly, ##n \lambda = L##.Therefore, the equation you've circled in green is equivalent to ##n = \frac{L}{\lambda}##.
iScience
so we used an equation in class to basically describe the relationship between some quantities of a vibrating string held fixed at both ends. and i noticed (just now...) that this was.. well.. i don't want to say that it's 'wrong' yet but, the expression does not make sense to me; and just to make sure that i haven't gone dumb or anything i checked online for the expression of the same scenario and they had the same equation that i derived.

here is a picture of the page in my thermo book using the equation (circled in green) that i disagree with.

http://i.imgur.com/gcBrguW.jpg

even at the bottom of the page with the diagram, λ3 is NOT (2/3)L it should be 1.5L or, (3/2)L. basically my question is... why in the world is the 2 and the n inverted??

thanks

Science news on Phys.org
Are you asking about how many wavelengths fit in the box, or how long is the wavelength?

attachment.php?attachmentid=65110&stc=1&d=1388063813.jpg

Attachments

• wave.jpg
    wave.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 444
either way, the wavelength is in terms of L, so wouldn't the answer to one be the answer to the other? for instance, the very top wave in the diagram in the picture, n=3. there are 1.5L waves in this harmonic, or.. there are 1.5 wavelengths in the length L. (this answers "how many wavelengths fit in the box")

as far as how long the wavelength is.. that can't really be determined numerically if that's what you're asking, since we are leaving the wavelength in terms of L so.. however many wave units in length L IS 'how long the wave is'.

so.. either way, i don't see how the equation circled in green is correct.

If one and a half wavelengths fit in a box of length L, then the wavelength is 2/3 the length L of the box.

For λ1, half a wavelength fits in the box, and the wavelength is twice the box length.

n lots of [itex]\frac{\lambda}{2}[/itex] fit into length L.
So [itex]\frac{n \lambda}{2} = L [/itex].
Re-arrange this to get the equation you've circled in green.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It is concerned with how energy is transferred between different systems and how it is transformed into different forms.

2. What is the quantum volume?

The quantum volume is a measure of the computational power of a quantum computer. It takes into account both the number of qubits and the quality of those qubits, as well as the ability of the computer to perform complex operations.

3. How is quantum volume derived?

Quantum volume is derived by performing a series of random quantum circuits on a quantum computer and measuring the success rate of the calculations. This allows for an accurate assessment of the capabilities of the computer.

4. What is the significance of deriving quantum volume?

Deriving the quantum volume allows for a better understanding of the capabilities of a quantum computer. It also helps in comparing different quantum computers and tracking the progress of quantum technology.

5. How does thermodynamics play a role in deriving quantum volume?

Thermodynamics plays a role in deriving quantum volume because it provides the framework for understanding the transfer of energy and the transformation of energy into useful work. This is essential in understanding the capabilities of a quantum computer and how it can be improved.