Thermodynamics, find the work done from the graph

In summary, the pressure at point B is 1000 Pa, and the pressure at point C is 1000 Pa. The total work done is 180 J.
Alice7979

Homework Statement

Using the data presented in the accompanying pressure-versus-volume graph, estimate the work done (including the algerbraic sign) when the system changes from A to B to C along the path shown.

Homework Equations

The work done is the area from change in position and time
Work= PV

The Attempt at a Solution

I counted 5X6 from the initial position to the next for both AB and BC
Given 1000 Pa and .002 m^3
Work = 1000 * .002 *60 = 1200 J

Do I have to include the whole area under the red lines starting from A to C?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 9.26.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 9.26.42 PM.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 690
Physics news on Phys.org
Alice7979 said:

Homework Statement

Using the data presented in the accompanying pressure-versus-volume graph, estimate the work done (including the algerbraic sign) when the system changes from A to B to C along the path shown.

Homework Equations

The work done is the area from change in position and time
Work= PV

The Attempt at a Solution

I counted 5X6 from the initial position to the next for both AB and BC
Given 1000 Pa and .002 m^3
Work = 1000 * .002 *60 = 1200 J

Do I have to include the whole area under the red lines starting from A to C?
Write down your answer completely, consider the value of P at A and B, correctly. Neither at A nor at B it is 1000 Pa. Think carefully they need to be different.

Alice7979 said:

Homework Statement

...Do I have to include the whole area under the red lines starting from A to C?...

Draw a vertical (vertical to the volume axis) line at A and another vertical line at C. At point A the vertical line is just an extension to the red line at A.

You have to include all the area under the red lines which is between those two vertical lines.

I think it will be useful to answer the following questions:

What's the pressure at point B?
What's the pressure at point C?

And how you will calculate the total work if you know correctly these two pressures?

Delta² said:
I think it will be useful to answer the following questions:

What's the pressure at point B?
What's the pressure at point C?

And how you will calculate the total work if you know correctly these two pressures?
I am still lost but the graph shows 1000 Pa 10 blocks up starting from 0 so would the pressure per block be 100 Pa? Then change in pressure (final to initial) is 10000. And the volume per block is .002 so I multiplied it by 12 blocks and got .024. The work done would be P*V so 10000* 240. I If I'm wrong, am I even close to getting it?

Alice7979 said:
It sounds like it should be
Should be what?
Alice7979 said:
is the correct answer 180 J
Not even close.
Alice7979 said:
the graph shows 1000 Pa 10 blocks up starting from 0
Are we looking at the same graph?
It shows that each little square is 104Pa vertically and 2x10-3m3 horizontally. So what work does one little square represent?

I just noticed that, I got it now. Thanks

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It studies how these factors affect physical systems and their properties.

2. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics is the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

3. How is work defined in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, work is defined as the transfer of energy between a system and its surroundings due to a difference in pressure or volume. It is represented by the area under a pressure-volume (PV) graph.

4. How do you calculate work from a PV graph?

To calculate work from a PV graph, you can use the formula W = ∫PdV, where W represents work, P is the pressure, and dV is the change in volume. This formula calculates the area under the graph, which represents the work done.

5. What are some real-world applications of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics has many practical applications, including refrigeration and air conditioning systems, power plants, car engines, and other industrial processes. It is also used in the study of weather patterns and climate change.