Thermodynamics: Heating gas in two separate containers

For the second part, you correctly used the ideal gas law to relate the initial and final temperatures of the gas on the right. For part (3), you will need to use the same approach, but with a different initial temperature (since the gas on the left is not initially at T_0). For part (4), you can use the first law of thermodynamics to relate the heat flow to the work done and the change in internal energy of the gas on the left.
2DGamer
1. A cylinder with thermally insulated walls contains a movable frictionless thermally insulated piston. On each side of the piston are n moles of an ideal gas. The initial pressure (P_0), volume (V_0), and temperature (T_0) are the same on both sides of the piston. The value for (gamma) is 1.5, and cv is independent of temperature. By the means of a heating coil in the gas on the left side of the piston, heat is supplied slowly to the gas on this side. It expands and compresses the gas on the right side until its pressure has increased to (27*P0)/8.

1) How much work is done on the gas on the right side in terms of n, cv, and T_0?
2) What is the final temperature of the gas on the right? (this is the only one I can solve)
3) What is the final temperature of the gas on the left?
4) How much heat flows into the gas on the left?

2. PV = nRT

3. For the first part where I need to find the work on the right side I noted that cp - cv = R. Also, since (gamma) = cp/cv I put these two together to get:
1.5 = (cv + R)/cv which equals: 1.5 = 1 + R/cv which equals: .5 = R/cv. Using the equation PV = nRT I replaced R with PV/nT, then solved for PV and got nTcv/2 which is the correct answer in the book, but I'm wondering if this is even the right way to do the problem. Aren't I supposed to start with the definition of work and go from there? I've tried that, but keep getting stuck.

For the second one I included my work in the attachment. I feel pretty good about that one.

For the third and fourth one I really have no idea how to even get started. If you can just give me a hint, that would be great.

Attachments

• problem2.jpg
    problem2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 535
Physics news on Phys.org
The reason your solution to part (1) doesn't feel right is that work doesn't equal PV, and your answer [itex]nTc_v/2[/itex] doesn't match the solution [itex]nT_0c_v/2[/itex]. Try relating the energy gained by the gas on the right to its change in temperature, and working from there.

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the study of the relationships between heat, energy, and work, and how they affect physical systems.

How does heating gas in two separate containers differ from heating gas in one container?

Heating gas in two separate containers allows for the comparison of two different systems and their responses to heat. This can provide valuable insights into the behavior of gases under different conditions.

What is the relationship between heat and temperature in thermodynamics?

Heat and temperature are closely related in thermodynamics. As heat is added to a system, the temperature increases, and as heat is removed, the temperature decreases.

How does the ideal gas law apply to heating gas in two separate containers?

The ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are all related, applies to the heating of gas in two separate containers. By manipulating these variables, we can observe changes in the gas and its properties.

What are some practical applications of studying thermodynamics and heating gas in two separate containers?

Understanding thermodynamics and heating gas in two separate containers has many practical applications, including designing more efficient engines, creating better insulation materials, and developing more effective refrigeration systems.