Thermodynamics internal energy Problem

In summary, thermodynamics is the study of energy and its transformations, while internal energy is the total energy contained within a system. Internal energy is directly proportional to temperature and cannot be created or destroyed according to the first law of thermodynamics. The second law of thermodynamics explains the relationship between thermodynamics, internal energy, work, and heat. The internal energy of a system is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the number and types of particles present, as well as energy transfer through heat and work, and chemical reactions and phase changes.
liamtcarroll
Six grams of water changes from liquid to
vapor at a pressure of one atmosphere. In the
process, the volume changes from 0.9 cm^3
to2387 cm^3. The latent heat of vaporization of
water is 2.26 × 10^6 J/kg

Find the increase in internal energy of the
water.
Answer in units of J

When i did this i did Q=mL. I got 13500J to be my answer and the program I'm using said it was wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
I answered it myself i had to subtract my work from my answer

1. What is the difference between thermodynamics and internal energy?

Thermodynamics is the study of energy and its transformations, while internal energy is the total energy contained within a system. In other words, thermodynamics is a broader concept that encompasses the study of internal energy and its relation to other forms of energy.

2. How is internal energy related to temperature?

Internal energy is directly proportional to temperature. As the temperature of a system increases, so does the internal energy. This is because temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles within a system, and internal energy is the sum of all the kinetic and potential energy of these particles.

3. Can internal energy be created or destroyed?

According to the first law of thermodynamics, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This applies to internal energy as well. It can be transferred from one object to another or converted into different forms, but it cannot be created or destroyed.

4. How does thermodynamics and internal energy relate to work and heat?

The second law of thermodynamics states that heat flows from a high temperature area to a low temperature area, and work is required to reverse this natural flow. Internal energy plays a role in this process as it is the source of both heat and work within a system. Heat is a transfer of internal energy due to a temperature difference, while work is the transfer of internal energy due to a force acting over a distance.

5. What factors can affect the internal energy of a system?

The internal energy of a system can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the number and types of particles present. It can also change due to energy being added or removed from the system through heat or work. Chemical reactions and phase changes can also alter the internal energy of a system.