1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics -- mono and diatomic gases

1. Nov 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2016-11-3_18-10-29.png
    The 4 processes involve one mole of either mono- or di-atomic gas with the same amount of heat (absorbed or discharged)

•Which belong to the mono and which to the diatomic gas?

2. Relevant equations
    i don't know which equations I should use and how start solving it..
    I started thinking by taking into consideration the degrees of freedom of each but it didn't work

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2016 #2
    What is the molar heat capacity at constant volume for a monoatomic gas? What is the molar heat capactiy at constant volume for a diatomic gas?

4. Nov 4, 2016 #3
    (molar heat capacity at constant volume=f/2 R where f is then number of degrees of freedom) I think it should be 3/2R for monoatomic and 7/2Rfor diatomic and delta T is inversly proportional to heat capacity. Similarly for heat capacity at constant pressure (Cp=R+Cv) so diatomic will get a lower temprature than monoatomic ones so 1,3 monoatomic and 2,4 diatomic
    Correct???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted