Thermodynamics - monotomic/diatomig gas heat capacity question

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
p.ella
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Thermodynamics -- monotomic/diatomig gas heat capacity question

Homework Statement



GRADE 12 CHEMISTRY: Why would a monotomic gas like Helium require less heat than a diatomic gas like hydrogen to undergo the same temperature increase?


Homework Equations



q=mcΔT


The Attempt at a Solution



I think it has something to do with bonds and rotational/translational/vibrational energy of molecules but don't know exactly help

Thank you everyone!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello p.ella,

The answer to your question maybe twofold.

First ask yourself this: How do the CP and CV values of helium compare with other gases?

Secondly, What kind of inter-molecular forces act between helium molecules? How do they compare with other gases?
 
Sunil Simha said:
Secondly, What kind of inter-molecular forces act between helium molecules? How do they compare with other gases?
Sorry Sunil, but I don't think that intermolecular forces are the right way to go.

p.ella, have you heard of the equipartition theorem?
 
DrClaude said:
Sorry Sunil, but I don't think that intermolecular forces are the right way to go.

p.ella, have you heard of the equipartition theorem?

Thanks anways Sunil :)

And no, I haven't, not yet atleast :)
 
p.ella said:
And no, I haven't, not yet atleast :)
That makes things a bit more difficult, but let's try it this way.

When heat is put into a monatomic gas, what changes?

If you have a diatomic molecule instead, what more can happen (in addition to what you just answered for the monatomic gas)?