1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Thermodynamics. Partial derivative tricks.

1. May 7, 2017 #1
    If we consider function ##z=z(x,y)## then ##dz=(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x})_ydx+(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})_xdy##. If ##z=const## then ##dz=0##. So,
    [tex](\frac{\partial z}{\partial x})_ydx+(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})_xdy=0[/tex]
    and from that
    [tex]\frac{dx}{dy}=-\frac{(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})_x}{(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x})_y}[/tex]
    or
    [tex](\frac{\partial x}{\partial y})_z=-\frac{(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})_x}{(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x})_y}[/tex]
    My question is is ##z=const## isn't then also ##(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x})_y=0## and ##(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})_x=0##? This is confusing to me. Could you please answer me that.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2017 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Everything you wrote is correct. Your confusion is due to a unfortunate formulation of what's meant by the mathematical operations. What you study is the following:

You define a function ##x=x(x)## (let me be a bit sloppy; pure mathematicians would kill me for this formulation already ;-)) in an implicit way by using a function ##z=z(x,y)## by setting
    $$z(x,y)=c=\text{const}.$$
    So ##z## is always a function of two independent variables ##x## and ##y##. Setting this function to a constant leads to an equation for ##x## to be solved given the value of the variable ##y##.

Now taking the partial derivatives of ##z## on both sides of the defining equation makes sense. The total differential on the left-hand side indeed is
    $$\mathrm{d} z=\mathrm{d} x \partial_x z+\mathrm{d} y \partial_{y} z.$$
    Now since you restrict yourself along the line, where ##z(x,y)=c=\text{const}## this means that ##\mathrm{d} z=0##. On the other hand this line can (at least locally) be described by a function ##x=x(y)##, and then you get your formula
    $$\frac{\mathrm{d} x}{\mathrm{d} y}=-\frac{\partial z}{\partial y} \left (\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \right)^{-1}=-\frac{\partial_y z}{\partial_x z}.$$
    Let's give a very simple example. Let's set
    $$z(x,y)=x y^2.$$
    Now we set
    $$z(x,y)=1=\text{const} \; \Rightarrow\; x y^2=1 \; \Rightarrow x=\frac{1}{y^2}.$$
    Obviously you get
    $$\partial_x z=y^2, \quad \partial_y z=2xy.$$
    Now
    $$\frac{\partial_y z}{\partial_x z}=\frac{2xy}{y^2}=\frac{2x}{y}.$$
    Along the implicitly defined curve you have
    $$\left (\frac{\partial_y z}{\partial_x z} \right)_{x=1/y^2}=\frac{2}{y^3}.$$
    Indeed, calculating the function ##x=1/y^2## directly you get
    $$\frac{\mathrm{d} x}{\mathrm{d} y}=-\frac{2}{y^3}=-\left (\frac{\partial_y z}{\partial_x z} \right )_{x=1/y^2}.$$

4. May 7, 2017 #3
    Thanks a lot. Very useful answer. Could you just explain in this case why you say "at least locally".

5. May 7, 2017 #4
    What you are doing is determining is how x and y have to vary in tandem in order for z to remain constant.

6. May 7, 2017 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Take as an example
    $$z(x,y)=x^2+y^2.$$
    Obviously the implicitly defined curve
    $$z(x,y)=R^2=\text{const}$$
    is a circle of radius ##R## around the origin in the ##xy## plane, which cannot be described by a function ##y=y(x)## or ##x=x(y)##, but you can of course do that for two parts of the circle, e.g., one semi-circle in the upper part,
    $$y=\sqrt{R^2-x^2}$$
    or in the lower part
    $$y=-\sqrt{R^2-x^2}.$$
    That's what I meant with "local".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted