Thermodynamics Problem: Finding Heat Transfer

In summary, the conversation is about a problem from a booklet on thermodynamics. The person has successfully completed part b), but has doubts about part a). The suggested answer states that saturated vapor would form around the layer and exert a force of Psaturated * Area, but the person finds this assumption strange and questions why the vapor wouldn't escape to vacuum. They also mention that there is no wall at the other end, making it unlikely for molecules to turn back. The person is seeking an explanation for this.
Jacob White
Homework Statement
In vacuum and weightlessness, at the bottom of a cylindrical vessel (a cup), there is a layer of solid substance. This
substance sublimes slowly (evaporates from the solid phase into
gaseous phase) and pushes thereby the vessel to the opposite
direction. The mass of the vessel is M, and the initial mass of
the substance m ≪ M. The cross-sectional area of the vessel
is A, and the pressure of saturated vapours of the substance
at the temperature T is p0. What is the acceleration of the
vessel? Provide answer for two cases: (a) the mean free path
length λ of the molecules at the saturation pressure is much
smaller than the length of the vessel, and (b) much larger than
that.
Relevant Equations
a=pA/M
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for that mess. But this is my first post and I have accidentally post it without description

I have managed to done b) but I have some doubts about a). The answer suggests(at least I think so) that saturated vapour would form around the layer and exerted force Psaturated * Area. But this is rather strange assumption. Why it wouldn't escape to vacuum? Although the λ ≪ L, there is no wall at the other end and it is highly unlikely that some molecules would turn back. Could someone explain that? I would be very grateful.

1. What is heat transfer in thermodynamics?

Heat transfer is the process of thermal energy moving from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. In thermodynamics, it is an important concept as it helps us understand how energy is transferred and transformed in various systems.

2. What are the three types of heat transfer?

The three types of heat transfer are conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects, convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. How do you calculate heat transfer in a thermodynamics problem?

The amount of heat transfer can be calculated using the formula Q = m x c x ΔT, where Q is the amount of heat transferred, m is the mass of the object, c is the specific heat capacity of the material, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in an object. In other words, heat is the energy being transferred, while temperature is a measure of the intensity of the heat.

5. How does heat transfer affect the efficiency of a system?

Heat transfer can affect the efficiency of a system in various ways. For example, in a heat engine, the efficiency is affected by the amount of heat transferred into the system and the amount of heat lost to the surroundings. In a refrigeration system, the efficiency is affected by the rate of heat transfer between the refrigerant and the surrounding environment.