How can I get steady state of complicated heat transfer problem?

yhyoon0511
Homework Statement
What needs to be obtained is the temperature distribution of thermos that have reached thermal equilibrium. The thermos consists of three parts. The 'pillar' is a hollow cylinder whose inner radius is R_in and outside radius is R_out, height h. The 'lid border' is a solid of revolution made by rotating a quadrant with a radius of R_out - R_in. The 'lid center' is a cylinder, the radius and the height is R_out - R_in. The 'lid border' is placed on the 'pillar', and 'lid center' occupies the inside of the 'lid center'. The surface of the thermos is in contact with two heat sources. First, the high heat source which has a temperature of Th covers the inside. Next, the low heat source which has a temperature or Tl covers the outside except the bottom of the thermos. And the bottom of the 'pillar' is insulated.
Relevant Equations
Heat transfer equation
Lapace equation in cylindrical coordinate
This problem is created by my cousin who is learning about 1-D heat transfer problems. He made this problem and made solve it with fourier's law of heat transfer with calculating thermal resistance by integrating 1/A dx, which presupposes a false assumption; if the distance away from the heat source is the same, the temperature will be the same. I find out it was a wrong solution, but I can't solve this problem with my knowledge. The hardest problem I've solved used the separation of variables which assuming the steady state temperature can be expressed as R(r)Z(z)(applying this solution for this problem, theta term is omitted because there is theta directional symmetry). However, with r direction boundary conditions varying through the z direction, I don't think I can get suitable answer with this problem.
KakaoTalk_20231223_005638787.png

Physics news on Phys.org
yhyoon0511 said:
Homework Statement: What needs to be obtained is the temperature distribution of thermos that have reached thermal equilibrium. The thermos consists of three parts. The 'pillar' is a hollow cylinder whose inner radius is R_in and outside radius is R_out, height h. The 'lid border' is a solid of revolution made by rotating a quadrant with a radius of R_out - R_in. The 'lid center' is a cylinder, the radius and the height is R_out - R_in. The 'lid border' is placed on the 'pillar', and 'lid center' occupies the inside of the 'lid center'. The surface of the thermos is in contact with two heat sources. First, the high heat source which has a temperature of Th covers the inside. Next, the low heat source which has a temperature or Tl covers the outside except the bottom of the thermos. And the bottom of the 'pillar' is insulated.
Relevant Equations: Heat transfer equation
Lapace equation in cylindrical coordinate

This problem is created by my cousin who is learning about 1-D heat transfer problems. He made this problem and made solve it with fourier's law of heat transfer with calculating thermal resistance by integrating 1/A dx, which presupposes a false assumption; if the distance away from the heat source is the same, the temperature will be the same. I find out it was a wrong solution, but I can't solve this problem with my knowledge. The hardest problem I've solved used the separation of variables which assuming the steady state temperature can be expressed as R(r)Z(z)(applying this solution for this problem, theta term is omitted because there is theta directional symmetry). However, with r direction boundary conditions varying through the z direction, I don't think I can get suitable answer with this problem.View attachment 337565
Suppose the lid border were insulation rather than the same material as the pillars and the lid center. Could you solve it then? In your judgment, how does the heat loss through the lid border compare to the heal loss through the pillar and the lid center (qualitatively) in the actual set up?

1. How can I determine the steady state of a complicated heat transfer problem?

To determine the steady state of a complicated heat transfer problem, you will need to analyze the system's boundary conditions, material properties, and heat sources. You can use mathematical modeling and simulations to solve the governing equations for heat transfer in the system.

2. What methods can I use to achieve steady state in a heat transfer problem?

Some common methods to achieve steady state in a heat transfer problem include increasing the thermal conductivity of the materials, improving insulation, increasing the surface area for heat transfer, and controlling the heat sources or sinks in the system.

3. How long does it take to reach steady state in a complicated heat transfer problem?

The time it takes to reach steady state in a complicated heat transfer problem depends on various factors such as the size of the system, the material properties, the heat sources, and the boundary conditions. It may take anywhere from minutes to hours or even days for the system to reach steady state.

4. What are the challenges in achieving steady state in a complicated heat transfer problem?

Some challenges in achieving steady state in a complicated heat transfer problem include non-uniform heat distribution, transient effects, heat losses, and inaccuracies in modeling the system. It is essential to account for these factors when solving for steady state.

5. How can I validate the steady state solution of a heat transfer problem?

To validate the steady state solution of a heat transfer problem, you can compare the results with experimental data, conduct sensitivity analyses, and perform convergence studies. It is crucial to ensure that the solution is physically meaningful and accurately represents the behavior of the system.