Thermodynamics Problem (HINT PLEASE)

In summary: Atmospheric pressure is around 14.7 psi or 100 kPa. so at the two pi'd one that would be when the gauge pressure is 3.14*14.7 or 49.09 psi.
Teachme

Homework Statement

Ruchardt's experiment equilibrium Figure 1.7 (uploaded by me) shows a large vessel (of volume V_0) to which is attached a tube of precision bore. The inside radius of the tube is r_0, and the tube's length is l_0. You take a stainless steel sphere radius r_0 and lower it -- slowly -- down the tube until the increased air pressure supports the sphere. Assume that no air leaks past the sphere (an assumption that is valid over a reasonable interval of time) and that no energy passes through any walls.
Determine the distance below the tube's top at which the sphere is supported. Provide both algebraic and numerical answers. You have determined an equilibrium position for the sphere (while in the tube).

Numerical data V_0 = 10.15 liters; r_0=0.8cm; and l_0 = 60 cm. Mass density of stainless steel = 7.8 times that of water. Take the ratio of heat capacities to lie in the range 1.3≤
γ≤1.7

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so my first step of this problem was finding the volume of the tube that leads to the bottom compartment of 10.15 liters.
so
1) (.60m)(pi)(.008m)^2 =
so this gives me 1.20637e-4 m^3
then i convert to liters since V_0 is already in liters. I do so by multiplying by 1000
Thus the tube is .121 liters

2) Next
I want to find the volume of the sphere in liters
(4/3)(pi)(.008)^3
giving me 2.1446e-6 m^3
so this gives the sphere a volume of .0021447 liters.

Now that I have everything converted to liters, I don't really know what to do next. All I need is a hint. Or possibly a equation i should be using to solve the problem because no equation is given in the book for this problem.

Attachments

• 2012-01-18_22-04-56_745.jpg
    2012-01-18_22-04-56_745.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 552
Physics news on Phys.org
Well the ball will come to rest when there is enough pressure underneath to support its weight. So when the pressure inside the ball is equal to the pressure in the container.

At the two-pi'd one: Pressure inside the ball?
You mean when the gauge pressure in the container supports the ball's weight surely?

Oops haha yeah, that's what I was trying to say

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of heat, energy, and work in systems.

What is a thermodynamics problem?

A thermodynamics problem is a question or scenario that requires the application of thermodynamic principles and equations to find a solution or answer.

What are common hints for solving thermodynamics problems?

Some common hints for solving thermodynamics problems include drawing a clear diagram or system representation, identifying the given information and what is being asked for, and using the appropriate thermodynamic equations and principles.

How do I approach a thermodynamics problem?

The first step in approaching a thermodynamics problem is to carefully read and understand the given information. Then, determine what is being asked for and identify any relevant equations or principles. Finally, set up and solve the problem using the appropriate equations and units.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving thermodynamics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving thermodynamics problems include not carefully reading and understanding the given information, using incorrect units or equations, and not accounting for all forms of energy and work in the system.