Thermodynamics - Problem in calculating a values

In summary, you are having difficulty calculating the heat flux, and are wondering if anyone could help. By looking at the Heat Pump specs and knowing that the coefficient of performance is 2.5, you should be able to calculate the energy heat has to transfer from the outside into the inside. However, the difference between the heat flux lost from the house into the atmosphere and what the heat pump extract from the atmosphere would give you the NETT COOLING OF THE ATMOSPHERE due to the Heat Pump.
pottersj
Hello, I am having difficulty in calculating F and was wondering if anyone could help.

F is the heat flux in W/m2 between the Heat Pump-House system from the Atmosphere.

Now I have the Energy 'lost' from the house walls into the atmosphere.
If we don't consider any other parameters, this energy would be the same
exact amount of energy that I need to add into the House to maintain a
constant temperature.

By looking at some of the Heat Pump specs and by knowing that the
Coefficient of performance is 2.5 I should be able to calculate the
energy heat has to transfer from the outside into the inside.

The difference between the heat flux lost from the House into the
atmosphere and what the heat pump extract from the atmosphere would give
me the NETT COOLING of the atmosphere due to the Heat Pump. Which is my
F in W/m2.

Now I'm a bit confused on how I go and do that really... I am fine with
the sentence before the bold text but then I just get lost...

Thanks

John

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you know the rate that heat is leaving the house, then you divide that by the surface area of the house to get ##F_{out}##.

##F_{in}## will be a rating written on the heat pump or in it's documentation.

##F=F_{in}-F_{out}##
... would be the net heat flow into the house.
If this is a negative number, then heat flows to the outside and the atmosphere would warm up.

You problem is that the heat from the atmosphere may not all end up in the house right?
You also use energy in the heat pump which produces heat of it's own.

Of course the effect on the atmosphere depends on a lot more than just the heat flow through your house.

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of energy and its transformations, particularly in relation to heat and work.

What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern energy and its interactions. There are four laws, but the first and second laws are the most commonly referenced. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. The second law states that in any energy conversion, some energy will be lost as heat.

What is a "problem in calculating a values" in thermodynamics?

A "problem in calculating a values" in thermodynamics refers to difficulties in determining the numerical values of thermodynamic properties, such as temperature, pressure, and volume, in a given system. This can occur due to incomplete or inaccurate data, complex systems, or limited understanding of the underlying thermodynamic processes.

What is the importance of thermodynamics in science and engineering?

Thermodynamics is essential in science and engineering as it provides a framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of systems involving energy. It is particularly important in fields such as chemistry, physics, and mechanical engineering, where energy is a central concept.

What are some common applications of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics has a wide range of applications, including power generation, refrigeration and air conditioning, chemical reactions, and materials processing. Understanding thermodynamics is also crucial for designing efficient and sustainable energy systems, such as renewable energy technologies.