1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics Question, entropy Problem

1. Jan 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Considering entropy as a function of temperature and volume and using the Maxwell relation;
    $$ \left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_T = \left(\frac{\partial p}{\partial T}\right)_V$$
    Show that the entropy of a vessel is given by;
    $$ S= R \left(\frac{3}{2}lnT+lnV+const\right) $$
    Where R is the gas constant.
    2. Relevant equations
    Given in the question.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I made and attempt because S(T,V) you can write it as;
    $$dS=\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_T dV +\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V dT$$
    Then substituted the maxwell relation;
    $$dS=\left(\frac{\partial p}{\partial T}\right)_V dV + \left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V dT$$
    But from there I'm not sure where to go, i tried a few different things like dividing by dV but I'm drawing a blank, a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.
    Thanks in Advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2014 #2

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks like you are not giving us all the information needed to solve the problem. How exactly was the problem worded in your homework/textbook? I also find it confusing that in the formula for entropy there are logarithms of dimensional quantities. Usually we only calculate logarithms (or exponentials) of dimensionless numbers.

4. Jan 19, 2014 #3
    This is the Question part (d), I managed to find a solution but I didnt use the maxwel relation above, I also found it fairly strange but It must be possible it was on a list of practice examples I found.
    cGt9WH4.png

5. Jan 19, 2014 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

"ideal monatomic gas" is a crucial part of the question. what equations are there for ideal gas, that might be useful?

edit: p.s. sorry for barging in.

6. Jan 19, 2014 #5

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem is related to the so-called Sackur-Tetrode equation, which gives the entropy of an ideal monoatomic gas as a function of internal energy, volume, and number of atoms. See http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/therm/entropgas.html . You just have to find out how to derive that from the Maxwell equation. Googling with cleverly chosen keywords might help.

7. Jan 19, 2014 #6
    Like I said I did manage to find a Solution using $$ dQ=dU+pdV$$, $$pV=nRT$$ and $$dU=\frac{3}{2}nRdT$$ but Doing that I didn't use the Maxwell relation as the question states, and I'm not sure how to use it to find the solution.

8. Jan 19, 2014 #7
    Oh I will, Thank you, sorry i posted that reply before seeing your second hilbert.

9. Jan 19, 2014 #8
    Thanks alot guys I figured it out now wiht your help, I was just going blank.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted