Thermodynamics Questions dealing with Entropy

In summary, the teacher gave us a packet of questions, I am stuck on a few. One of the questions is what will happen in terms of temperature changes, after the brick is tossed into the water. The Attempt at a Solution I am assuming the water is the surroundings, and the brick the system, or is it supposed to be a tricky question?
ana111790
My teacher gave us a packet of questions, I am stuck on a few:
Part 1)

Homework Statement

A hot brick is tossed into cold water, and this is an adiabatic enclosure. The volume of the brick and water will not change.

Define the system and surroundings.

Homework Equations

Entropy Tot = Entropy of system + Entropy of surroundings

The Attempt at a Solution

I am assuming the water is the surroundings, and the brick the system, or is it supposed to be a tricky question?

Part 2)

Homework Statement

What will happen in terms of temperature changes, after the brick is tossed into the water? Is this answer based on the First Law of Thermodynamics? Explain why or why not.

Homework Equations

First Law of Thermodynamics: dU=dQ-dW

I am pretty sure that the brick's temperature will go down, and the water's temperature will go up, but it sais that the process is adiabatic so no Heat is given of. I am not sure how to relate these two, maybe there will be no Temp. change?

Part 3)

Homework Statement

What will be Utotal for the process described in part 2? Explain your reasoning.Is the answer based on an application of the 1st Law of thermodynamics? Explain why or why not.

Homework Equations

First Law of Thermodynamics: dU=dQ-dW

U=W, because the process is adiabatic, not Q is given of. How do I relate it to 1st Law of Thermo then?
Thank you so much for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ana. Welcome to the board. :smile:

When they say "adiabatic" they don't mean there is no heat transfer between the water and brick, they mean there is no heat transfer between the water + brick and the surroundings. In other words, consider the water and brick being inside a perfectly insulated bath tub.

Does that help at all?

It does help indeed!
Thank you for the clarification! :smile:

What is entropy?

Entropy is a thermodynamic property that represents the level of disorder or randomness in a system. It is a measure of the amount of energy that is unavailable for work in a thermodynamic process.

How is entropy related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will never decrease over time. This means that in any natural process, the total entropy of the system and its surroundings will always increase.

What is the equation for calculating entropy?

The equation for calculating entropy is ΔS = Q/T, where ΔS is the change in entropy, Q is the heat transferred, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

What is the difference between reversible and irreversible processes in terms of entropy?

In a reversible process, the final state of the system is the same as the initial state, so there is no change in entropy. In an irreversible process, the final state is different from the initial state, resulting in an increase in entropy.

How does the concept of entropy apply to everyday life?

Entropy can be observed in everyday life through natural processes such as the melting of ice, the rusting of metal, and the dissipation of energy. It also plays a role in areas such as food spoilage, traffic flow, and the aging of living organisms.