1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics Rigid tank problem

1. Oct 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A closed, rigid tank filled with water, initially at 20 bar, a quality of 80%, and a volume of .5 m^3, is cooled until the pressure reaches 4 bar. Evaluate the heat transfer, in kJ, and draw the process in a T-v diagram

2. Relevant equations
    ΔU=Q-W (but W goes to zero here because of the constant volume)
    u= ugX + (1-x)uf
    v= vgX + (1-x)vf

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, so. I know that the volume is constant. My plan was to use the quality to calculate specific internal energies at 20 bar and 4 bar, thus finding the change in internal energy.
    I ended up with u1(20 bar) = 2261.528 kJ/kg and u2(4 bar) = 2163.742 kJ/kg using the above equation using quality.

However, it wants the answer in kJ, so I had to find the specific volume to find the mass to cancel the kJ/kg. So, i used vg and vf at 20 bar (using the equation v=vgx + (1-x)vf) and I got .07993934 m^3/kg. I divided the given .5 m^3 by the specific volume I got, and received the answer of 6.255 kg. I then multiplied this by the change in internal energy, which I found to be -97.786 (cooling process, makes sense).

The final answer I calculated was -611.65 kJ. My professor gave the answers in class so we could check, but did not go through the problems specifically. This answer does not agree with his answer of -8282 kJ. Maybe -82.82? I have it written down as -8282.

Thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2012 #2
    anyone?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook