1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics with statistical mechanics pedagogy question

1. Dec 6, 2012 #1
    I was wondering if it's common in undergraduate studies for statistical mechanics to be covered in the last 3-4 weeks of a thermodynamics course? I feel like the same is done for infinite series in a 2nd semester of calculus. Needless to say, both topics deserve much more time to fully do them justice - which brings me to my 2nd question - is a thorough treatment of statistical mechanics usually a graduate level course? Or is it just my school that is like this? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2012 #2
    I think it's more of your school's prescription. At my school the course was junior level, the first 3 weeks involved reviewing classical thermodynamics (also adding a little sophistication from how it was treated in a freshman level course) before we immediately jumped into statistical mechanics during week 4 with the micro canonical ensemble.

We used Thermal Physics by Kittel and Kroemer (pretty decent book). Note however, that we used a standard introductory physics textbook for the classical thermodynamics portion, the Kittel book doesn't really even mention the word "heat" or the phrase "thermal process" until like chapter 8 if I remember correctly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook