1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermofluids Question wind tunnel u tube manometer

1. Aug 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Air at 20 degrees celsius and 100kpa is drawn into a wind tunnel. If the deflection h of a water manometer that is connected to a hole in the wall of the test section to measure the gauge pressure in the flow is 98mm. Calculate air speed in test section in m/s ignore fluid friction .
    Take R of air to be 287 j/kgK and density of water to be 1000 kg/m3 and g= 9.81

part b) if the air speed is 45 m/s calculate the deflection h in the manometer.

2. Relevant equations
    I have been having trouble with this for ages now and am really stuck have been looking at Pressure= density xg x height giving 961.38 Pa then using pv=nrt v=87.469 using this method unsure if im barking up the wrong tree?

for part b) again using p=nRT/v = 1868.68 Pa then using P=densityxgxdelta h giving 190mm or 0.19m however this doesnt sound right to me as the 45 m/s air speed is causing a greater deflection that the previously worked out air speed so i am sure something is not quite right but what? I am converting 20 degrees to 293 K and using that any suggestion?

If anyone needs a drawing i will attempt one in paint.

Thanks very much in advance

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted