1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Airplane and Wind Vector question

1. Sep 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An airplane is heading due south at a speed of 500 km/h. If a wind begins blowing from the southwest at a speed of 100 km/h, calculate the velocity of the plane relative to the ground, and how far off course it will be after 10 min. if the pilot takes no corrective action.

Answer: 435 km/h, 9.36 degrees east of south

2. Relevant equations

x = hypotenuse * cos(45)
    x = 100 km/h * cos(45)

y = hypotenuse * sin(45)
    Y = 100 km/h * sin(45)

3. The attempt at a solution

First I drew a diagram with N, E, S, W labeled. I then drew a line going NE since the wind is coming from SW. Then using the same starting point as the wind I drew 500 km/h going south to represent the airplane. I now wrote in a 45 degree angle for the wind. From this point I made a right triangle for the wind. To find the x and y I used sin and cos to get the values y = 70.71 km/h and x = 70.71 km/h. Am I on the right track or no?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

That's one good way to start. What next?

4. Sep 20, 2011 #3
    I am stumped. Where do I go from here?

5. Dec 6, 2011 #4
    After you get your velocity how do you find how the course of the plane movd in five minutes??

6. Dec 7, 2011 #5
    I don't know. I never got a reply and ended up dropping the course without having to pay for it fortunately.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook