Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Airplane and Wind Vector question

1. Sep 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An airplane is heading due south at a speed of 500 km/h. If a wind begins blowing from the southwest at a speed of 100 km/h, calculate the velocity of the plane relative to the ground, and how far off course it will be after 10 min. if the pilot takes no corrective action.

Answer: 435 km/h, 9.36 degrees east of south

2. Relevant equations

x = hypotenuse * cos(45)
    x = 100 km/h * cos(45)

y = hypotenuse * sin(45)
    Y = 100 km/h * sin(45)

3. The attempt at a solution

First I drew a diagram with N, E, S, W labeled. I then drew a line going NE since the wind is coming from SW. Then using the same starting point as the wind I drew 500 km/h going south to represent the airplane. I now wrote in a 45 degree angle for the wind. From this point I made a right triangle for the wind. To find the x and y I used sin and cos to get the values y = 70.71 km/h and x = 70.71 km/h. Am I on the right track or no?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

That's one good way to start. What next?

4. Sep 20, 2011 #3
    I am stumped. Where do I go from here?

5. Dec 6, 2011 #4
    After you get your velocity how do you find how the course of the plane movd in five minutes??

6. Dec 7, 2011 #5
    I don't know. I never got a reply and ended up dropping the course without having to pay for it fortunately.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook