Thermostatically Controlled Meteor Camera

In summary, a bimetal thermostat in series with a 100W resistor can be used to heat a dome with a camera attached.
AJohn
Hi all,

This is my first post.

I am hoping to build an inexpensive housing for a Watec PAL camera that I have with the intended use as a meteor camera. The camera needs to be protected from the environment, rain, snow, fog and ideally in a controlled temperature situation while it runs all night looking for meteors flashing across the heavens.

I understand that good outdoor surveillance camera housings that are heated and cooled can be had with a nice poly dome for perhaps $ 200 or less. However is there a ready made electronic device or setup I can buy and install in my own homemade housing?

Any suggestions? I live in the Northeast where temps can fall into the subzero digits and in the summer hit more than 100 degrees F on occasion. I do understand some of the rectangular outdoor camera housings do have the features of heat/cooling for a reasonable price but I really need a domed version due to extreme wide angle lens I would like to use.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think $200 for a dome with heating/cooling is pretty cheap. I'll be interested to hear if I PF can suggest cheaper alternatives.

What max/min temperature can you tolerate?

Likes davenn
I think $200 for a dome with heating/cooling is pretty cheap. I'll be interested to hear if PF can suggest cheaper alternatives.

What max/min temperature can you tolerate?

I'd imagine that 55 to 85 degrees F would be an acceptable opperating range or so.

Just wondering what might be out there as a third party system.

AJohn said:
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
A bimetal thermostat in series with a 100W resistor ?

Have a look here: ( I don't know if it is accurate enough ? ).

http://www.senasys.com/shop/product/12-thermostat-switch-430-301a092-f/

PS: Of course you should choose a model that opens at temperature rise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well then, if you live in the Northeast and use the camera only at night, and if your max temperature is 85 F, then you don't need cooling at all. That will make it much less expensive.

A simple incandescent light bulb can be the source of heat and a household thermostat with a mercury switch, plus a little insulation might be all you need.

Do you need the temperature closely regulated and stable, or merely min temp 55 F?

Likes davenn
anorlunda said:
Well then, if you live in the Northeast and use the camera only at night, and if your max temperature is 85 F, then you don't need cooling at all. That will make it much less expensive.

A simple incandescent light bulb can be the source of heat and a household thermostat with a mercury switch, plus a little insulation might be all you need.

Do you need the temperature closely regulated and stable, or merely min temp 55 F?
Yes I have already thought of this but was wondering what kind of setups exist for the commercial security cameras. Surely a light bulb on within a housing is not a good idea when trying to run a camera at night trying to capture images of faint meteors! It maybe possible to baffle the housing to shield the light created by the bulb but I rather not go in this direction.

1. What is a thermostatically controlled meteor camera?

A thermostatically controlled meteor camera is a specialized camera that is designed to capture images and videos of meteors, also known as shooting stars. It is equipped with a thermostatic device that maintains a consistent temperature inside the camera, allowing it to function in extreme weather conditions.

2. How does a thermostatically controlled meteor camera work?

A thermostatically controlled meteor camera works by using a combination of specialized lenses, sensors, and a computer system. The lenses capture images and videos of the sky, while the sensors detect any changes in temperature. The computer system uses this information to adjust the temperature inside the camera and prevent any fogging or condensation that could affect the quality of the images and videos.

3. What are the benefits of using a thermostatically controlled meteor camera?

There are several benefits of using a thermostatically controlled meteor camera. Firstly, it allows for consistent and high-quality images and videos to be captured even in harsh weather conditions. Secondly, it reduces the need for manual adjustments and maintenance, as the thermostatic device automatically regulates the temperature. Finally, it increases the chances of capturing rare and unique meteor events, as the camera can operate in extreme temperatures that other cameras may not be able to withstand.

4. Can a thermostatically controlled meteor camera be used for other purposes?

Yes, a thermostatically controlled meteor camera can be used for other purposes besides capturing meteors. It can also be used for capturing images and videos of other celestial events, such as the northern lights or eclipses. Additionally, it can be used for scientific research and monitoring of weather patterns and changes in the atmosphere.

5. How can I get a thermostatically controlled meteor camera?

Thermostatically controlled meteor cameras are specialized equipment and may not be readily available for purchase. They are often used by professional and amateur astronomers and can be purchased from specialized retailers or online. It is important to do research and consult with experts before purchasing a thermostatically controlled meteor camera to ensure it meets your specific needs and budget.