Thevenin equivalent circuit with dependent current source

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Kuuie
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Find the thevenin equivalent circuit of the circuit to the left of the terminals AB.
Circuit diagram is attacted below.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the thevenin resistance is 1kohm.
I also know that the thevenin voltage is the voltage across the 300 ohm resistor.
Im thinking of using a voltage divider to calculate the voltage v2, but surely it cannot be that simple. im really not sure how to approach this.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

gneill
Mentor

Homework Statement

Find the thevenin equivalent circuit of the circuit to the left of the terminals AB.
Circuit diagram is attacted below.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the thevenin resistance is 1kohm.
I also know that the thevenin voltage is the voltage across the 300 ohm resistor.
Im thinking of using a voltage divider to calculate the voltage v2, but surely it cannot be that simple. im really not sure how to approach this.

Thanks in advance
Hi Kuuie, Welcome to Physics Forums.

The controlled source is going to mess with both the Thevenin voltage and resistance. Usually you can't just suppress a controlled source along with any fixed sources to find the equivalent resistance of the remaining network.

An approach for cases where there are controlled sources is to put your own source on the output terminals and find the corresponding voltage or current that results. The Thevenin resistance will be the Voltage/Current that this new source provides.