Attempt at Thevenin Equivalent Circuit

In summary, Scott was having trouble trying to determine Voc on this circuit. He converted his Voltage source to rectangular format, converted his capacitor and inductor to Xc and XL, tried using KCL to find Va that's at the three-way on the circuit, with ground node put at the bottom of Vd. However, he just can't wrap it around his head how to find Vth knowing that his current source requires voltage off of the inductor. He asked one of his professors from another class and he told him to use superposition, but it doesn't make sense to him either. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
xxgokouxx
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
ch10-problem-4-png.png

Hi, I am having trouble trying to determine Voc on this circuit.
I have done the following to attempt it:

1) Converted my Voltage source to rectangular format (from polar)
2) Converted my capacitor and inductor to Xc and XL
3) I tried using KCL to find Va that's at the three-way on the circuit, with ground node put at the bottom of Vd.
4) I've done method 3 of Thevenin equivalent circuits (using Vtest at nodes a and b of the circuit, shorting my voltage source, and solving for Zth anyway).

I just can't wrap it around my head how to find Vth knowing that my current source requires voltage off of the inductor.

I've asked one of my professors from another class and he told me to use superposition, but it doesn't make sense to me either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Attachments

• CH10 problem 4.PNG
    CH10 problem 4.PNG
    8 KB · Views: 520
  • ch10-problem-4-png.png
    ch10-problem-4-png.png
    8 KB · Views: 681
Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you showed your results so far. This way you can get some feedback.
b?
Also, what is Vd? Did you mean Vb?

What is the current through the inductor during open circuit condition?

magoo said:
It would help if you showed your results so far. This way you can get some feedback.
b?
Also, what is Vd? Did you mean Vb?

20180325_223353.jpg

In this workout, I only solved for Z-Thevenin. I was not able to solve for V-Thevenin.

I also meant Id, my apologies, not Vd. In this course, our professors refer to Dependent sources as Vd and Id, and independent sources as Vs, and Is, all labeled 1, 2, and 3 respectively.

scottdave said:
What is the current through the inductor during open circuit condition?

That was the issue, I was not given anything regarding current going through the inductor during open circuit condition. So does this mean that I am only able to solve for Thevenin Impedance?

Attachments

• 20180325_223353.jpg
    20180325_223353.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 288
Also, please forgive me if this is an ignorant question. But isn't the Zth impedance the same as the load resistor between nodes A and B?

If it is, can't I just plug my Z-thevenin impedance back in, complete the circuit, and solve for voltage at inductor? Then I am able to complete finding out current Id of the circuit, and therefore finding the Vth of the circuit.

Thank you!

The Thevenin impedance is the equivalent impedance between nodes a and b.

If it is an open circuit, how much current would flow through the inductor?

magoo said:
The Thevenin impedance is the equivalent impedance between nodes a and b.

If it is an open circuit, how much current would flow through the inductor?

Wouldn't that be considered a current of 0 going through the inductor?
It's an open circuit, meaning it is infinity resistance, therefore the resistance of air is so high no current is able to complete the circuit. At least that was what I learned in my previous courses.

I will find out the answer tomorrow and report back in case anyone is curious of the results. I just figured I could solve this before class tomorrow morning as good practice.

Thank you!

You are correct as far as the current through the inductor. I'm glad that scottdave asked you that question. That means there is no voltage drop across the inductor in this open circuit coindition.

The problem for Voc was solved. Thank you for everyones help. VL=0v. Therefore Id=0.25*0, making the Voc equal to 1V=Vth. It was a dumb question, and i knew in my head it was 0V for VL (i just thought it was a trick question somehow).

What is a Thevenin equivalent circuit?

A Thevenin equivalent circuit is a simplified representation of a complex electrical circuit. It consists of a single voltage source in series with a single resistance, and is used to model a circuit's behavior at a specific point or load.

Why is a Thevenin equivalent circuit used?

A Thevenin equivalent circuit is used because it simplifies the analysis of complex circuits, making it easier to calculate the voltage and current at a particular point. It also allows for easy replacement of a circuit with a different load, as long as the load is within the range of the original circuit's behavior.

How is a Thevenin equivalent circuit calculated?

A Thevenin equivalent circuit is calculated by removing the load from the original circuit and determining the open-circuit voltage and the equivalent resistance seen from the load's perspective. The open-circuit voltage is the voltage at the load's terminals when no current is flowing, and the equivalent resistance is the resistance that would replace the original circuit when viewed from the load's perspective.

What is the purpose of an attempt at Thevenin equivalent circuit?

The purpose of an attempt at Thevenin equivalent circuit is to find a simplified model of a circuit that behaves similarly to the original circuit at a specific point or load. It can be used to predict the behavior of a circuit without having to analyze the entire complex circuit.

What are the limitations of a Thevenin equivalent circuit?

There are a few limitations of a Thevenin equivalent circuit. It assumes that the circuit is linear, meaning that the voltage and current relationship is constant. It also only works for DC circuits and may not accurately model the behavior of AC circuits. Additionally, it is only valid for a specific load and may not accurately predict the behavior for different loads.