Formation of Quarks: What's Nothing Made Of?

• Thread starter astro2cosmos
  • Start date
In summary, there is no answer to whether or not something can be made of nothing. It is an impossible state. Energy is "something" so your statement "everything is made of nothing" is (technically) false.
astro2cosmos
Is there any thing which is made of NOTHING?
Since energy is conserved, so when anything is form it must be something at last time, then what about the formation of fundamental element QUARKS...

Physics news on Phys.org
how could you make something out of nothing?

The only thing that could be composed of nothing is pure vacuum, which doesn't actually exist. Even in what might appear to be a pure vacuum, there are quantum fluctuations.

I think he means what are fundamental particles made out of.

String theory talks about oscillating "strings of energy" being the basis of the fundamental particles, though I don't know what is actually meant by that.

There is another theory, loop quantum gravity, which conceives of space time as being made up of minuscule chunks connected together by abstract links. Some think that the fundamental particles are actually braids in the links which connect these volumes of space. In which case we would actually http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19125645.800-you-are-made-of-spacetime.html", which I suppose is as close to nothing as you can get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, technically everything is made of nothing, which happens to be something. I think most particles could be considered condensing energy propogating at <C. I don't think it's much more than a ripple in space though. It's something though.

nothing is made out of nothing...therefore nothing is made out of nothing...maybe...

Gear300 said:
nothing is made out of nothing...therefore nothing is made out of nothing...maybe...

Exactly what i was thinking!

astro2cosmos said:
Is there any thing which is made of NOTHING?
Since energy is conserved, so when anything is form it must be something at last time, then what about the formation of fundamental element QUARKS...

Actually this question is still under research, because we can yet see the effect, not the cause.

The problem is that we can't see everything, this actually is a big problem, that physics depends on the observer. In the microscopic dimensions, if you start by going deeper and deeper, you first find the crystal structure of a solid, go deeper you find the molecules or atoms, deeper would be nucleus, deeper... here is the problem. Standard model (the claimer to the existence of quarks) says it's quarks, and gives a loooooooooooooooot of elementary particles, I actually (personally) don't agree with standard model, because it's just like you're answering a question with some other question. I'm sure if you go deeper than quarks you're going to find some other particles, more and more and more, therefore we need some very fundamental field theory that agrees with Einstein's energy description, when he said that energy converts to mass.
The only reason we say Einstein is a genius is because he saw what can't be seen, and imagined something in a new dimensions that human will never be able, let's not say to see, but even to imagine.

I think the answer to your question is this:

"nothing" means no energy, "something" means there is energy. With this you start using energy to build strings (strings theory), then you build all elementary particles and fields however you wish, and you start from the only unit which is energy.

I hope I didn't mess up something :P

Good luck :)

Simply put, nothing is an impossible state.

andreasj said:
Simply put, nothing is an impossible state.

I don't understand what you mean!

andreasj said:
Well, technically everything is made of nothing, which happens to be something. I think most particles could be considered condensing energy propogating at <C. I don't think it's much more than a ripple in space though. It's something though.
No, energy is "something" so your statement "everything is made of nothing" is (technically) false.

hey the distroyer!
can u tell me if the theory of everything can describe anything of the thing of nothing?

TheDestroyer said:
I don't understand what you mean!

It's simple really. Energy cannot be created nor destroyed. There's always something.

I have a little bottle at home with nothing inside. I labeled the bottle correspondingly: "Nothing". Before I kept there decayed µ-mesons (it was labeled "Decayed µ-mesons").

This thread has deteriorated into silliness and random speculations. It is done.

Zz.

FAQ: Formation of Quarks: What's Nothing Made Of?

1. How do quarks form?

Quarks are thought to form during the early stages of the universe, when there was an extremely high amount of energy present. As the universe expanded and cooled, this energy condensed into elementary particles, including quarks.

2. What are quarks made of?

Quarks are considered to be fundamental particles, meaning they are not made up of any smaller components. However, they are often found in composite particles, such as protons and neutrons, which are made up of three quarks each.

3. What role do quarks play in the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. Quarks are one of the building blocks of this model, along with other particles such as electrons and neutrinos. Quarks are responsible for the strong nuclear force, which holds together the nucleus of an atom.

4. Can quarks be observed directly?

No, quarks cannot be observed directly because they are always confined within composite particles. However, scientists can study the effects of quarks by colliding particles at high energies and analyzing the resulting particles and their properties.

5. Are there different types of quarks?

Yes, there are six known types, or flavors, of quarks: up, down, charm, strange, top, and bottom. Each has a unique mass and electric charge, and they can combine in different ways to form different particles.