Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thinking about a career change to ChemE

1. Jun 7, 2009 #1
    So I have a BS in Chemistry and a BS in mathematics and just have been recently laid off from my job as a chemist at a pharmaceutical company. I have been thinking about going back to graduate school for ChemE. It seems right up my alley. The only thing is that I really don't want to have to go back and take out more student loans to take undergrad ChemE courses if I don't have to. Graduate school for ChemE should be free like it is for all the sciences right? If I were to go back to school for ChemE could anyone please fill me in as to how many and what undergrad courses I would have to take move into ChemE?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2009 #2

Wax

This is a question that would be best answered by the school you are looking at.

4. Jul 4, 2009 #3
    hmm... I suspect you would need some/all of the following..

Intro Thermodynamics
    Process Engineering (Mass/Energy Balances)
    ChemE Thermo (Advanced Thermodynamics)
    Momentum/Heat/Mass Transfer (This would probably be covered in 2 courses, just depends on how the school divides it up).

These are all bread-and-butter courses for ChemE. You may be required to take some general engineering courses as well. For instance, Statics, Dynamics, Materials Science, Electrical Systems, etc.

I guess it all depends on the school though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook