1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thinking of rigid solid and NIFR problems

1. Dec 5, 2014 #1
    In two weeks I have my clasical mechanics exam. This includes rigid solid and non inertial frame of reference chapters.

Do you know any problem that involves both themes? This is how my exam is gonna be :nb)

Also, do you have any solved-problems book you could recommend me?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2014 #2
    When you say "rigid solid" are you referring to rigid body mechanics? (such as statics & dynamics?)

4. Dec 6, 2014 #3
    Yes :DD

5. Dec 6, 2014 #4

OldEngr63

Gold Member

I think I can safely say that the (almost) universal way to approach problems in non-inertial frames is this:
    1. Define an inertial frame;
    2. Establish the transformation relations between the inertial frame and the non-inertial frame;
    3. Write the equations of motion in the inertial frame;
    4. Transform the variables to obtain the description in the non-inertial frame.

Here are some references that may be of interest to you:
    1. Landau & Lifshitz, Mechanics, Pergamon, 1960, pp. 127-129, Motion in non-inertial frame of reference
    2. Goldstein, Classical Mechanics, Addison-Wesley, 1959, pp. 135-140. The Coriolis Force (This is to be read with care and a grain of salt. Goldstein's results are correct (as I recall), but the coriolis term is an acceleration term, not a force.)

You might want to also look (perhaps on the internet or in a library) for information on the Focault pendulum, and for the problem of dropping a pebble down a vertical mine shaft. I seem to remember that these were both discussed in a text by Constant, but I no longer have the book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted