1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Third order differential equation numerical approximation

1. Nov 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a fluid flowing over a hot plate. We non-dimensionalized the problem from three partial diff eq's to two ode's. I am modeling I have two coupled differential equations that are a system of initial value problems. I am supposed to numerically integrate the two equations to come up with values... I'm then told to simplify this to a larger system of first order ode's. I'm not sure how to do this...

2. Relevant equations
    I'm given F''' +1/2(F*F'')=0 and G''+Pr/2(F*G')=0 where Pr is the prandle number. F(0)=0 F'(0)=0 F'(infinity)=1 G(0)=1 G(infinity)=0

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I'm supposed to guess F'' and G' to get F' and G' to be what I want them to asymptote to. I just am not sure how to get to a place where I can use something like Runge-Kutta 4th order method...

My attempt was U1=F1 U2=F' U1'=U2=F' U2'=U3=F'' U2''=F''' U2''+1/2(U1*U2')=0

then

V1=U1 V2=U2' V2'=U2'' and V2'+1/2(V1*V2)=0

But I don't know if this is right...

Any help is appreciated thanks,

Matt

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To use Runge-Kutta, you need a system of first order differential equations. You don't want U2"+ (1/2)(U1*U2')= 0, you want U3'+ (1/2)(U1*U3)= 0
    Your 3 equations are
    U1'= U2
    U2'= U3 and
    U3'+ (1/2)(U1*U3)= 0.

Surely you don't mean this! What happened to G?
    Let V1= G, V2= V1'= G', and V3= V2'= G". Then
    V1'= V2
    V2'= V3 and
    V3'= Pr/(2*U2*V2)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?