1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

This juggler problem drining me crazy

1. Sep 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A juggler throws balls up with wqual speed. He releases a ball when the previous pne has reached maximum height. the number of balls moving in the upward direction at one instant is
    [a]1 2 [c]3 [d]4

2. Relevant equations
    Let the velocity of the balls thrown be 'u'. Let the maximum height that the balls reach be 'h'. Let the time difference between release of two balls be 't'. let the time to reach the maximum height be 'T'

3. The attempt at a solution
    h=uT-[1/2]gT^2
    [h/2]=ut-[1/2]gt^2
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2011 #2
    I agree with the first equation. But how did you get the second one? The first ball has reached a height h before the second ball is released, not h/2.

4. Sep 26, 2011 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Try it without equations. Draw diagrams of what's happening.

5. Sep 27, 2011 #4

Ok , lets move step by step.

Let he throw a ball at u velocity as you mentioned. Then what is the maximum height attained by that ball ? Use this equation of motion :

h= 1/2t(v+u)

Now what is the time interval when that ball has reached its height h ? t right ? Then what will be the time interval between that ball attaining h height and release of another ball ?

[Your second equation is absurd I think. How did you get it ?]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook