This just seems so simple so I think I'm doing it wrong (Algebra)

• Thread starter futurebird
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from a take home final and the proofs for two parts of the problem. It is proven that for integers n_{1}...n_{t}, (f^{(n_{1}...n_{t-1})})^{(n_{t})} = f^{(n_{1}...n_{t})}, and if f divides f^{(n_{i})} for each n_{i}, then f divides f^{(n_{1}...n_{t})}. The conversation also includes an example of f = 2+ x+ 4x^{3} and its resulting f^{(2)} calculation.
futurebird
This is a problem from a take home final I turned in two day ago... I'm wondering if I got it right.

For [tex]f= \sum_{i=0}a_{i}x^{i}[/tex], set [tex]f^{(s)}= \sum_{i=0}a_{i}x^{si}[/tex].

4a. Prove that for integers [tex]n_{1}...n_{t}[/tex], [tex](f^{(n_{1}...n_{t-1})})^{(n_{t})} = f^{(n_{1}...n_{t})}[/tex].

[tex] (f^{(n)})^{(m)}= \left( \sum_{i=0} a_{i}x^{ni} \right)^{(m)} = \sum_{i=0} a_{i}x^{mni} [/tex]

So, [tex](f^{(n_{1}...n_{t-1})})^{(n_{t})} = f^{(n_{1}...n_{t})}[/tex].

4b. Prove that if f divides [tex]f^{(n_{i})}[/tex] for each [tex]n_{i}[/tex], then f divides [tex]f^{(n_{1}...n_{t})}[/tex]

Since every term is only assuming higher powers, using the result in 4b, we can factor out [tex]x^{(n_{1}...n_{i-1}n_{i+1}...n_{t})}[/tex] we have: [tex]f^{(n_{1}...n_{t})} = x^{(n_{1}...n_{i-1}n_{i+1}...n_{t})}(f^{(n_{i})})[/tex]. f divides [tex]f^{(n_{i})}[/tex] so f divides [tex]f^{(n_{1}...n_{t})}[/tex].---

It just seemed too simple... am I missing something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me.

WAIT

If [tex]f = 2+ x+ 4x^{3} = 2x^{0} + x^{1}+ 4x^{3}[/tex] then [tex]f^{(2)} = 2x^{0*2} + x^{1*2}+ 4x^{3*2}= 2x^{0} + x^{2}+ 4x^{6} = 2 + x^{2}+ 4x^{6}[/tex] NOT [tex]2x^{2} + x^{3}+ 4x^{5}[/tex]Ugggg... I think I messed this up big time. :(

You're right! If i starts from 1, everything works out though.

I think I'm going to fail this take home now... I should have done some examples before turning it it.

1. Why does algebra seem so simple?

The fundamentals of algebra are based on simple principles and operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations are familiar to most people, making algebra seem simple at first glance.

2. Am I doing something wrong if I find algebra difficult?

No, finding algebra difficult is a common experience for many people. It requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills that may take time and practice to develop. It is important to seek help and keep practicing if you find algebra challenging.

3. How do I know if I am doing algebra correctly?

One way to know if you are doing algebra correctly is to check your work using a calculator or by plugging in values to equations. You can also seek feedback from a teacher or tutor to ensure you are following the correct steps and using the right formulas.

4. Can I use shortcuts in algebra to make it easier?

There are certain shortcuts or tricks that can make certain algebraic operations easier, such as the FOIL method for multiplying binomials. However, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and principles of algebra before relying on shortcuts.

5. Is there a specific order to solving algebraic equations?

Yes, there is a specific order of operations in algebra, known as PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, Addition and Subtraction). It is important to follow this order when solving equations to ensure accuracy.