This makes no sense, is my textbook dumb or I am trying too hard?

In summary, the next two elementary row operations that should be performed in the process of solving the linear system represented by the given augmented matrix are to replace R2 by its sum with 3 times R3, and then replace R1 by its sum with -5 times R3. These steps will eliminate the variable x3 from the first two equations, bringing the system closer to being solved.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Consider this matrix as the augmented matrix of a linear system. State in words the next two elementary row operations that should be performed in the process of solving the system

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
1 & -4 & 5 & 0 & 7 \\
0 & 1 & -3 & 0 & 6 \\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 2 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & -5
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Solution from book

The system is already in “triangular” form. The fourth equation is x4 = –5, and the other equations do not contain the variable x4. The next two steps should be to use the variable x3 in the third equation to eliminate that variable from the first two equations. In matrix notation, that means to replace R2 by its sum with 3 times R3, and then replace R1 by its sum with –5 times R3.

The Attempt at a Solution

I pretty much got it except this part R1 by its sum with –5 times R3

That doesn't even eliminate the -4 in the first row. Shouldn't it be [tex]R_{1} \mapsto 4R_{2} - 5R_{3}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the book is correct. It asks for two steps, and what you are suggesting is not an elementary row operation. I agree that the third step would be to try and eliminate -4 in the first row and you would do that by taking the sum of R1 and 4*R2. But again, the book seems to ask for only two elementary row operations.

Ryker said:
I think the book is correct. It asks for two steps, and what you are suggesting is not an elementary row operation. I agree that the third step would be to try and eliminate -4 in the first row and you would do that by taking the sum of R1 and 4*R2. But again, the book seems to ask for only two elementary row operations.

Yeah, I did it in two steps

Step1.[tex]R_{2} \mapsto 3R_{3} + R_{2}[/tex]
Step2. [tex]R_{1} \mapsto 4R_{2} - 5R_{3}[/tex]

Like I said, the second step you're suggesting is not an elementary row operation. The following two are elementary row operations:

[tex]R_{1} \mapsto R_{1} - 5R_{3}[/tex]
[tex]R_{1} \mapsto R_{1} + 4R_{2}[/tex]

A combination of them, on the other hand, is not. So you need to go in steps, you can't add or subtract more than one (multiple of a) row when talking about elementary row operations. What you suggest is a row operation, just not an elementary one.

But that doesn't solve the matrix then

Well, yeah, two steps of applying elementary row operations don't solve the system, three do. But the book quote you posted in your original post says to
... state in words the next two elementary row operations that should be performed in the process of solving the system.

Dumb book...thanks Ryker!

No problem :smile:

1. Why is this concept so difficult to understand?

Understanding complex concepts can be challenging for anyone, regardless of their intelligence or effort. It's possible that the textbook is not presenting the information in a clear or concise manner, or that the topic itself is inherently difficult. It's important to take breaks and approach the material from different angles to fully grasp it.

2. Is my textbook not providing enough information?

It's possible that the textbook is not providing enough information, but it's also important to consider if you are fully engaging with the material. Are you taking notes, asking questions, and seeking additional resources? If you feel like the textbook is lacking, try supplementing it with other sources such as online articles or videos.

3. Am I just not smart enough to understand this?

No, struggling to understand a concept does not mean you are not smart enough. Everyone has different learning styles and some concepts may take longer to fully comprehend. It's important to stay persistent and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

4. Should I keep re-reading the same section over and over again?

Re-reading the same section may not be the most effective way to understand a concept. Instead, try using different study techniques such as summarizing the information in your own words, creating flashcards, or teaching the material to someone else. These methods can help you better understand and retain the information.

5. How do I know if I am trying too hard or not trying hard enough?

It's important to find a balance between putting in effort and not overworking yourself. If you are spending a lot of time on a concept and still not understanding it, it may be helpful to take a short break and come back to it later. It's also important to take care of your mental and physical health while studying to avoid burnout. If you feel like you are struggling, reach out to a teacher or tutor for additional support.