This problem has plagued me for years: finding SPICE models for real components.

For years I have mastered the art of simulation and testing, but I almost never seem to be able to find SPICE models for real devices. For example, the TI OPA548. It's a high-current power op-amp. I would love to run some simulations...but I can't find a model of it anywhere to use in LTSpice.

And even when I do find a model of something, it almost always needs to be used with a proprietary simulation software. Can anyone here offer advice on how to find simulation models for different products, and also how to convert the models into different formats?

Hire an analog engineer?

berkeman

Mentor
Hire an analog engineer?
LOL

For years I have mastered the art of simulation and testing, but I almost never seem to be able to find SPICE models for real devices. For example, the TI OPA548. It's a high-current power op-amp. I would love to run some simulations...but I can't find a model of it anywhere to use in LTSpice.

And even when I do find a model of something, it almost always needs to be used with a proprietary simulation software. Can anyone here offer advice on how to find simulation models for different products, and also how to convert the models into different formats?
The beginning of this Analog Devices article about IBIS modeling for digital devices may help to explain why it's hard to find SPICE models of opamps (versus simple transistors):

http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/application_notes/5935941671412055950152978543245071832296385807601441968349653493056536126553742AN715_0.pdf

Probably your best bet is to start with the standard opamp SPICE model, and tune it to the datasheet specs for the particular real-world opamp that you are trying to model. It's a bit of an art, though, as Mike is alluding to.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads