This problem has plagued me for years: finding SPICE models for real components.

In summary, finding SPICE models for real devices can be a challenge, especially for op-amps like the TI OPA548. Many models often require proprietary simulation software, making it difficult to find and convert them for use in LTSpice. One suggestion is to start with a standard opamp SPICE model and adjust it to match the datasheet specifications for the specific device. It may take some skill and trial and error to accurately model real-world opamps.
KingNothing
For years I have mastered the art of simulation and testing, but I almost never seem to be able to find SPICE models for real devices. For example, the TI OPA548. It's a high-current power op-amp. I would love to run some simulations...but I can't find a model of it anywhere to use in LTSpice.

And even when I do find a model of something, it almost always needs to be used with a proprietary simulation software. Can anyone here offer advice on how to find simulation models for different products, and also how to convert the models into different formats?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hire an analog engineer?

Mike_In_Plano said:
Hire an analog engineer?

LOL

KingNothing said:
For years I have mastered the art of simulation and testing, but I almost never seem to be able to find SPICE models for real devices. For example, the TI OPA548. It's a high-current power op-amp. I would love to run some simulations...but I can't find a model of it anywhere to use in LTSpice.

And even when I do find a model of something, it almost always needs to be used with a proprietary simulation software. Can anyone here offer advice on how to find simulation models for different products, and also how to convert the models into different formats?

The beginning of this Analog Devices article about IBIS modeling for digital devices may help to explain why it's hard to find SPICE models of opamps (versus simple transistors):

http://www.analog.com/static/import...7601441968349653493056536126553742AN715_0.pdf

Probably your best bet is to start with the standard opamp SPICE model, and tune it to the datasheet specs for the particular real-world opamp that you are trying to model. It's a bit of an art, though, as Mike is alluding to.

1. What are SPICE models?

SPICE (Simulation Program with Integrated Circuit Emphasis) models are mathematical representations of electronic components used in circuit simulation software. They describe the behavior of a component in terms of its electrical characteristics, such as voltage-current relationships, capacitance, and resistance.

2. Why is it difficult to find SPICE models for real components?

One reason is that manufacturers often do not release the detailed information about their components necessary to create accurate SPICE models. Additionally, the complexity of real-world components can make it challenging to accurately model their behavior in simulation software.

3. How can I find SPICE models for real components?

There are a few options for obtaining SPICE models for real components. Some manufacturers may provide SPICE models on their website or upon request. Another option is to search online databases or forums where other users may have created and shared SPICE models for specific components. Additionally, there are software programs that can generate SPICE models from datasheets or actual measurements of a component's behavior.

4. Are SPICE models always accurate?

No, SPICE models are not always accurate. They are based on assumptions and simplifications of a component's behavior, so they may not perfectly match the real-world performance of a component. It is important to verify the accuracy of a SPICE model through simulation and testing before relying on it for circuit design.

5. Can I create my own SPICE models for real components?

Yes, it is possible to create your own SPICE models for real components. However, it requires knowledge of the component's behavior and the SPICE modeling process. This can be a time-consuming and complex task, so it may be more efficient to use existing models or seek assistance from a simulation expert.