This video demonstrates just how far vehicle safety has come

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
ElliotSmith
Messages
167
Reaction score
104
This following video demonstrates just how far the automotive safety has come over the decades.

 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Borek, Ibix, Klystron and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Fantastic the improvement!
Anyhow, it is still dangerous the road; I mean, to drive. I don't like it. I prefer public transport (metro, bus, train...whenever is possible) Don't know the statistics, but I think is safer. It's a personal opinion.
Greetings!
 
mcastillo356 said:
Fantastic the improvement!
Anyhow, it is still dangerous the road; I mean, to drive. I don't like it. I prefer public transport (metro, bus, train...whenever is possible) Don't know the statistics, but I think is safer. It's a personal opinion.
Greetings!
Since you have not deigned to put ANYTHING in your profile, one cannot know where you live, but in some areas public transportation is basically a non-starter.

I do agree w/ you that public transportation is safer.
 
I live in the Basque Country, in the spanish side of the border. I went to LA when I was 16, 41 years ago. Public transportation was not a choice. I were at the outer part of the town. But it's the same here. Public transport is not a choice for many people.
 
ElliotSmith said:
This following video demonstrates just how far the automotive safety has come over the decades.


Is it just my tired old eyes or is @boneh3ad's avatar driving the 2009 Chevy?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
That video was 11 years old. What are the biggest safety advancements since the video was shot?
Well, for one, the contemporary car would have been a Tesla, and would have avoid the accident entirely*, saving all lives and turning the whole experiment into nothing more than a dinner table anecdote. :smile:

*unless it was an 18-wheel tractor-trailer, in which case, the driver would have been decapitated
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
That video was 11 years old. What are the biggest safety advancements since the video was shot?
Good question.

Side impact airbags were being phased in over a 4-year period around that time.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/new-side-impact-requirements-will-change-the-cars-we-buy.html

T-bone collisions produced some really bad head injuries and spine injuries (after frontal airbags helped to moderate them for head-on collisions).

More recent advancements have come from the semi-autonomous driving sector, with active lane control and collision avoidance systems. But the crush-zone and frontal airbags were probably the biggest steps forward by the time of the video, IMO. I have several times arrived on-scene at a really bad looking accident (like a crashed-up car laying on its roof), found no driver inside and asked onlookers "where is the driver"? And the answer has been "Oh, that's him standing over there." Unbelievable.

On the other hand, when I arrive at a scene where there has been an unrestrained driver or passenger (not wearing their seatbelt), things usually are much uglier. Wear your seatbelts folks. :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron and Greg Bernhardt
Klystron said:
Is it just my tired old eyes or is @boneh3ad's avatar driving the 2009 Chevy?

I feel like it's probably your tired old eyes.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: berkeman, anorlunda and Klystron
berkeman said:
Good question.

Side impact airbags were being phased in over a 4-year period around that time.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/new-side-impact-requirements-will-change-the-cars-we-buy.html

T-bone collisions produced some really bad head injuries and spine injuries (after frontal airbags helped to moderate them for head-on collisions).

More recent advancements have come from the semi-autonomous driving sector, with active lane control and collision avoidance systems. But the crush-zone and frontal airbags were probably the biggest steps forward by the time of the video, IMO. I have several times arrived on-scene at a really bad looking accident (like a crashed-up car laying on its roof), found no driver inside and asked onlookers "where is the driver"? And the answer has been "Oh, that's him standing over there." Unbelievable.

On the other hand, when I arrive at a scene where there has been an unrestrained driver or passenger (not wearing their seatbelt), things usually are much uglier. Wear your seatbelts folks. :smile:

Are you a first responder? Like police/fireman/EMT?
 
ElliotSmith said:
Are you a first responder? Like police/fireman/EMT?
From my Profile page: :smile:

1609871861222.png