This video demonstrates just how far vehicle safety has come

In summary, the conversation discusses the advancements in automotive safety over the years and the preference for public transportation over driving. The participants also mention the use of side impact airbags and semi-autonomous driving as the biggest advancements in safety. The conversation also touches on the importance of wearing seatbelts and the role of first responders in accidents.
ElliotSmith
This following video demonstrates just how far the automotive safety has come over the decades.

• Informative
Likes Borek, Ibix, Klystron and 3 others
Engineering news on Phys.org
Fantastic the improvement!
Anyhow, it is still dangerous the road; I mean, to drive. I don't like it. I prefer public transport (metro, bus, train...whenever is possible) Don't know the statistics, but I think is safer. It's a personal opinion.
Greetings!

mcastillo356 said:
Fantastic the improvement!
Anyhow, it is still dangerous the road; I mean, to drive. I don't like it. I prefer public transport (metro, bus, train...whenever is possible) Don't know the statistics, but I think is safer. It's a personal opinion.
Greetings!
Since you have not deigned to put ANYTHING in your profile, one cannot know where you live, but in some areas public transportation is basically a non-starter.

I do agree w/ you that public transportation is safer.

I live in the Basque Country, in the spanish side of the border. I went to LA when I was 16, 41 years ago. Public transportation was not a choice. I were at the outer part of the town. But it's the same here. Public transport is not a choice for many people.

ElliotSmith said:
This following video demonstrates just how far the automotive safety has come over the decades.

Is it just my tired old eyes or is @boneh3ad's avatar driving the 2009 Chevy?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
That video was 11 years old. What are the biggest safety advancements since the video was shot?

Likes Klystron
Greg Bernhardt said:
That video was 11 years old. What are the biggest safety advancements since the video was shot?
Well, for one, the contemporary car would have been a Tesla, and would have avoid the accident entirely*, saving all lives and turning the whole experiment into nothing more than a dinner table anecdote. :smile:

*unless it was an 18-wheel tractor-trailer, in which case, the driver would have been decapitated

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
Good question.

Side impact airbags were being phased in over a 4-year period around that time.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/new-side-impact-requirements-will-change-the-cars-we-buy.html

T-bone collisions produced some really bad head injuries and spine injuries (after frontal airbags helped to moderate them for head-on collisions).

More recent advancements have come from the semi-autonomous driving sector, with active lane control and collision avoidance systems. But the crush-zone and frontal airbags were probably the biggest steps forward by the time of the video, IMO. I have several times arrived on-scene at a really bad looking accident (like a crashed-up car laying on its roof), found no driver inside and asked onlookers "where is the driver"? And the answer has been "Oh, that's him standing over there." Unbelievable.

On the other hand, when I arrive at a scene where there has been an unrestrained driver or passenger (not wearing their seatbelt), things usually are much uglier. Wear your seatbelts folks. :smile:

Likes Klystron and Greg Bernhardt
Klystron said:
Is it just my tired old eyes or is @boneh3ad's avatar driving the 2009 Chevy?

I feel like it's probably your tired old eyes.

• Haha
Likes berkeman, anorlunda and Klystron
berkeman said:
Good question.

Side impact airbags were being phased in over a 4-year period around that time.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/new-side-impact-requirements-will-change-the-cars-we-buy.html

T-bone collisions produced some really bad head injuries and spine injuries (after frontal airbags helped to moderate them for head-on collisions).

More recent advancements have come from the semi-autonomous driving sector, with active lane control and collision avoidance systems. But the crush-zone and frontal airbags were probably the biggest steps forward by the time of the video, IMO. I have several times arrived on-scene at a really bad looking accident (like a crashed-up car laying on its roof), found no driver inside and asked onlookers "where is the driver"? And the answer has been "Oh, that's him standing over there." Unbelievable.

On the other hand, when I arrive at a scene where there has been an unrestrained driver or passenger (not wearing their seatbelt), things usually are much uglier. Wear your seatbelts folks. :smile:

Are you a first responder? Like police/fireman/EMT?

ElliotSmith said:
Are you a first responder? Like police/fireman/EMT?
From my Profile page: :smile:

1609871861222.png

1. What advancements in vehicle safety are shown in the video?

The video showcases various advancements in vehicle safety, including airbags, seatbelts, anti-lock braking systems, lane departure warning systems, and blind spot detection.

2. How have these advancements improved overall vehicle safety?

These advancements have greatly improved overall vehicle safety by reducing the risk of injury and death in car accidents. For example, airbags and seatbelts have been shown to significantly decrease the likelihood of serious injuries in a crash.

3. Are there any other important safety features that are not shown in the video?

Yes, there are many other important safety features that are not shown in the video. Some examples include electronic stability control, forward collision warning, and automatic emergency braking.

4. How do these safety features work?

Each safety feature works differently, but they all aim to prevent or mitigate accidents. For example, airbags deploy upon impact to provide a cushion for the driver and passengers, while lane departure warning systems use cameras to detect when a vehicle is drifting out of its lane and alerts the driver.

5. What impact do these advancements have on road safety statistics?

The advancements in vehicle safety have had a significant impact on road safety statistics. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the number of fatalities in motor vehicle crashes has decreased by over 20% since 2000, largely due to improved safety features in cars.