Thomson Scattering Hot Ionised Hydrogen Region

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of determining the thickness of a large, hot, ionized hydrogen region in order for it to be 'optically thick'. The concept of 'optically thick' is defined as the gas thickness being greater than the mean free length path. The discussion also considers the use of Thomson scattering and the possible influence of proton mass over electron mass.
leonmate

Homework Statement

Consider photons crossing a large hot ionised hydrogen region with constant electron density ne = 5*105 m-3. Assuming that the photons and the electrons interact via Thomson scattering (with Thomson scattering cross section, σT = 6.65*10-29 m2, what is the thickness Δx that this region should have in order to be 'optically thick'?

Homework Equations

Sifting through my textbooks I've found a few useful equations:

Optical depth for the medium for Thomson scattering:
τ = ∫ σT * ne dx

Mean free path:

l = (σT * ne)-1

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I've thought about this problem a couple of ways. The main issue is I can't find a definition for 'optically thick'. At what point does the gas region become optically thick. Is it when it is larger than the mean free path? I've also got a few notes about self-absorption processes in optically thick mediums, I don't know how to make that relevant either.

Another note, I've also read:

'For a completely ionized hydrogen gas, ne is equal to the number density of protons that carry most of the mass'
from my textbook: The Physics of Astrophysical Processes, Bradt.

So, if this is the case then I need to swap out my Thomson cross section as this is related to the mass of the particles and it would now be ~10-35 m2.

This increases the mean free path significantly also, from 3*1022 up by a factor of 106

Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
leonmate said:
'optically thick'?
An unusual term. Could it be in reference to "extinction coefficient?" Not a hint --- more a wild guess at the meaning of "optically thick."

Thanks for the reply, I've found what my lecturer was after.

He's defined optically thick as the gas thickness being greater than the mean free length path. It was hidden away in some exercises and solutions, not in the notes for some reason though.

Also, any thoughts on the fact I should be considering the protons over electrons because of their much larger mass? I don't think it's what he's looking for in the question but I'm curious if it's a valid point.

leonmate said:
thoughts on ... protons over electrons
The "stellar" gang should be in fairly frequently since it's Sunday --- better source than I --- stick around and they'll get to you.

Edit: @mfb

Last edited:

1. What is Thomson scattering hot ionised hydrogen region?

Thomson scattering hot ionised hydrogen region, also known as HII region, is a region of ionised hydrogen gas that emits strong radiation due to the presence of hot young stars. The radiation from these stars ionises the surrounding hydrogen atoms, causing them to release visible light.

2. How is Thomson scattering used to study HII regions?

Thomson scattering is used to study HII regions by observing the scattered light from the ionised hydrogen gas. This scattered light contains valuable information about the physical properties of the gas, such as its density and temperature. By analyzing the scattered light, scientists can gain a better understanding of the HII region.

3. What can we learn from studying Thomson scattering hot ionised hydrogen regions?

Studying Thomson scattering hot ionised hydrogen regions can provide insights into the formation and evolution of galaxies. It can also help us understand the processes of star formation and how young stars affect their surroundings. Additionally, it allows us to study the physical properties of the ionised gas, which can give us clues about the overall structure and dynamics of the region.

4. How is Thomson scattering different from other types of scattering?

Thomson scattering is specific to the scattering of electromagnetic radiation by free electrons. Other types of scattering, such as Rayleigh scattering, involve the scattering of light by particles that are much smaller than the wavelength of the light. Additionally, Thomson scattering is highly dependent on the energy of the incoming radiation, whereas other types of scattering are not as sensitive to energy.

5. Can Thomson scattering be used to study other types of ionised gas besides hydrogen?

Yes, Thomson scattering can be used to study other types of ionised gas besides hydrogen. It can be used to study the ionised gas in a variety of astrophysical environments, such as nebulae, accretion disks, and active galactic nuclei. By studying the properties of the scattered light, we can gain insights into the physical conditions and dynamics of these ionised gases.