Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thoughts on what this antenna structure is?

1. Jan 2, 2016 #1

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I saw this antenna matrix on the north coast of California this week on vacation (a couple miles north of Half Moon Bay). It's located about 1/4 mile from the beach on Highway 1. There is a powerline running past it, but it looks to just be getting much of its power from a trickle charge from a meter square solar panel. HMB Antenna Grey Sky Cropped.png

Do you have any ideas what it might be used for? I'm guessing that there are 7 horizontal dipoles in the disks, aimed in different directions, but for what? A multi-directional low power repeater?

I couldn't easily get closer to the antenna pole (traffic is crazy on Highway 1 there). Maybe that would have provided more clues.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2016 #2

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Multi directional that is horizontally polarized could be an ATV repeater. It seems a bit low for that. But you never know.

4. Jan 2, 2016 #3

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

my guess

http://hank.baaqmd.gov/tec/maps/dam_sites.htm
    upload_2016-1-2_18-21-59.png

right neck of the woods ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. Jan 2, 2016 #4

anorlunda

How close is it to that power line?

What are those things three feet above the ground?

There appears to be something on the telephone pole at the same height as the big cylindrical thing on the antenna.

6. Jan 2, 2016 #5

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Jan 3, 2016 #6

meBigGuy

Gold Member

I think it is a stand-alone monitoring station of some sort. Those stacked disks appear often in monitoring equipment, and solar power makes sense for those applications.
    Were you near the diablo canyon power plant? Was it in a wetlands? Can you post a higher resolution image?

8. Jan 3, 2016 #7

berkeman

Wow, thanks for the insights, folks! It does indeed look to be an air quality monitoring device of some sort. Learn something new every day around here... :smile:

9. Jan 4, 2016 #8
    I totally could be wrong here.
    But I dont think this is an antenna or some sort of monitoring equipment. Rather it is a tsunami warning siren.
    I saw a few of those in around Tofino on Vancouver island, given the location and placement of whatever they are the only thing that made sense was a warning siren.
    If you google images Tsunami warning siren you see various designs including a bunch that look similar to what you've posted.

10. Jan 4, 2016 #9

berkeman

You might be right! It certainly makes a lot more sense, since the Half Moon Bay area is one of the most vulnerable areas in the state of California for tsunami inundation.

I found this document about the tsunami preparedness for the San Mateo County coastline, and the picture of the siren has a different actual set of horns on it, but the same kind of solar panel:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...al.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFYP-ek7RJlknduEAfSahHxH1hDDA

Other Google Images searches shows a mix of the traditional horns and the weird vertical array that I took a picture of. Guess I'm just going to have to get a closer look the next time I'm over at the coast. Thanks all :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook