1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three questions about linear algebra

1. Nov 11, 2012 #1
    There is a theorem in our textbook that says:

Every abelian group G is a Z-module. Moreover, the Z-module structure
    on G is unique: for n ∈ Z and g ∈ G, ng is the n-th power of g in the group structure of G. (Thus, if n > 0, ng = g + · · · + g, the sum of n copies of g.) Finally, every group homomorphism between abelian groups is a Z-module homomorphism.

My questions:

a) "Finally, every group homomorphism between abelian groups is a Z-module homomorphism."...what's the difference between saying that something is a Z-module homomorphism or just any homomorphism?

b) So, in order to show that any abelian group is a Z-module, we show:

(m + n)a = ma + na
    m(a + b) = ma + mb
    (mn)a = m(na)
    1a = a

For some reason, I can't see where the "abelian" property is being used when showing that an abelian group is a Z-module.

c) Let f : A → B be a ring homomorphism. Then B is a left A-module
    via a · b = f(a)b.

So when they say a · b = f(a)b, are they assuming that f(a)b is in B?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A "group homorphism" preserves the properties of the group: f(a+ b)= f(a)+ f(b) and f(-a)= -f(a). Saying that it is also a "Z-module homomorphism" means it also preserves the Z-module property: the properties shown in (b), below.

Look at m(a+ b)= ma+ mb. With m= 2, say, that says (a+ b)+ (a+ b)= (a+ a)+ (b+ b). That requires commutativity.

I wouldn't use the word "assume". We are told that "f: A→B". That means that, for every a in A, f(a) is in B.

4. Nov 11, 2012 #3
    Thanks a lot...

I have one more question if you don't mind...

Let [tex]f_i : M_i → N[/tex] be A-module homomorphisms for 1 ≤ i ≤ k. Then
    there is a unique A-module homomorphism [tex]f : M_1 ⊕· · ·⊕M_k → N[/tex] such that [tex]f ◦ \eta_i = f_i[/tex] for 1 ≤ i ≤ n. Explicitly,
    [tex] f(m_1, . . . ,m_k) = f_1(m_1) + · · · + f_k(m_k)[/tex]

Where [tex] \eta_i : M_i → M_1 ⊕· · ·⊕M_k[/tex]

I understand what the theorem says...but then it says that (the theorem) explicitely means:
    [tex] f(m_1, . . . ,m_k) = f_1(m_1) + · · · + f_k(m_k)[/tex]

I have trouble connecting this to what it said in the theorem. In other words, the theorem says [tex]f ◦ \eta_i = f_i[/tex]. So where exactly is the composite in [tex] f(m_1, . . . ,m_k) = f_1(m_1) + · · · + f_k(m_k)[/tex]?

In other words, how is the theorem "explicitely" being shown in

[tex] f(m_1, . . . ,m_k) = f_1(m_1) + · · · + f_k(m_k)[/tex] ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook