1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show isomorphism under specific conditions

1. May 26, 2017 #1

Math_QED

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let ##A,B## be subgroups of a finite abelian group ##G##

Show that ##\langle g_1A \rangle \times \langle g_2A \rangle \cong \langle g_1,g_2 \rangle## where ##g_1,g_2 \in B## and ##A \cap B = \{e_G\}##
    where ##g_1 A, g_2 A \in G/A## (which makes sense since ##G## is abelian and all the subgroups are normal)

(this statement is possibly false, I need it to understand a step in a proof)

2. Relevant equations

None
    3. The attempt at a solution

Define ##f: \langle g_1A \rangle \times \langle g_2A \rangle \rightarrow \langle g_1,g_2 \rangle##

by ##f(g_1^{k_1}A,g_2^{k_2}A) = g_1^{k_1}g_2^{k_2}## for integers ##k,l##

First, we show that ##f## is well-defined:

Therefore, let ##(g_1^{k_1}A,g_2^{k_2}A) = (g_3^{k_3}A,g_4^{k_4}A)##

Then, ##g_1^{k_1}A = g_3^{k_3}A \iff g_1^{k_1}g_3^{-k_3} \in A##

Since, ##g_1,g_3 \in B, g_1^{k_1}g_3^{-k_3} \in A\cap B = \{e_G\}## Hence, ##g_1^{k_1 } = g_3^{k_3}##. Completely analogue, we find ##g_2^{k_2 } = g_4^{k_4}##.

Therefore, we conclude that ##g_1^{k_1}g_2^{k_2} = g_3^{k_3}g_4^{k_4}##. Hence, ##f## is well-defined.

This also shows injectivity (every step we did is reversible).

It is also clear that this mapping is surjective. If we take ##g_1^{k_1}g_2^{k_2} \in \langle g_1,g_2 \rangle##, then obviously ##(g_1^{k_1}A,g_2^{k_2}A)## gets mapped to that element.

Last but not least, we have to show that ##f## is a homomorphism. To show this,

##f[(g_1^{k_1}A,g_2^{k_2}A)(g_3^{k_3}A,g_4^{k_4}A)] = f(g_1^{k_1}g_3^{k_3}A,g_2^{k_2}g_4^{k_4}A) ##

##= g_1^{k_1}g_3^{k_3}g_2^{k_2}g_4^{k_4} = g_1^{k_1}g_2^{k_2}g_3^{k_3}g_4^{k_4}##

##= f(g_1^{k_1}A,g_2^{k_2}A)f(g_3^{k_3}A,g_4^{k_4}A)##

The result follows ##\quad \triangle##

Can someone verify whether my attempt is correct?

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean by ##\langle x,y \rangle## and where are the elements of ##A## gone to? Isn't ##g_1=g_2=e_G## already a counterexample?

4. May 26, 2017 #3

Math_QED

Homework Helper

Group generated by x,y, which is a subgroup of G. This is part of a proof. I filtered context.

And what is the problem with ##g_1 = g_2 = e_G##?

Then, we get that ##\langle A \rangle \times \langle A \rangle = \{e_{G/A}\} \times \{e_{G/A}\} \cong \{e_G\}##, which seems fine.

5. May 26, 2017 #4

fresh_42

O.k., then ##\langle . \rangle## depends on the group. I thought it was meant to be ##\langle gA \rangle =\langle ga\,\vert \,a \in A\rangle##.
    However, in this case ##g_1=a \in A-\{e_{G}\}\, , \,g_2=e_{G}## will be a counterexample except in case ##A=\{e_G\}##.

6. May 26, 2017 #5

Math_QED

Homework Helper

But ##g_1 \in B##. If ##g_1 \in A##, then automatically ##g_1 = e_G##

7. May 26, 2017 #6

fresh_42

Forgotten. Seems I should take a nap. Sorry.

8. May 26, 2017 #7

Math_QED

Homework Helper

No worries. I'm already glad I get some help :)

9. May 26, 2017 #8

fresh_42

Let's consider the first isomorphism theorem: ##AB/A \cong B/(A\cap B) \cong B## which gives us a hint where to look for the flaw. You have basically shown, that the projection followed by the multiplication onto the quotient group ##G/A## is a well-defined epimorphism. So what about injectivity? ##AB/A \times AB/A \cong B \times B \ncong B##.

Say ##f(gA,hA)=gh = e_G##. This means ##g=h^{-1}##, but how do you get to ##g \in A##?
    (Unless I've missed something again.)

10. May 26, 2017 #9

Math_QED

Homework Helper

I see where you are going. I realised the injectivity is failing (at least my argument, since not every step is reversible). Thanks a lot for this. So probably, the statement is false.

11. May 28, 2017 #10

Math_QED

Homework Helper

I managed to prove injectivity (I could deduce from the proof's context that ##\langle y_1A\rangle \cap \langle y_2A\rangle = \{A\}##, from which the injectivity follows.)

12. May 28, 2017 #11

fresh_42

##A=\langle (1),(12) \rangle\, , \,B=\langle (1),(13) \rangle\, , \,G=AB=\langle (1),(12),(13),(23) \rangle##
    The stated isomorphism now reads ##\langle (13)A \rangle \times \langle (13)A \rangle \cong B \times B \cong \langle (13),(13) \rangle = B## respectively ##f((13)A,(13)A) = (1)##, so how could ##f## be injective? ##B \times B \cong G \ncong B## by counting group elements.

13. May 28, 2017 #12

Math_QED

Homework Helper

Don't worry about it. There is a lot of context missing that can be used (this statement is part of the proof that every finite abelian group is the direct product of cyclic p-groups, which is a rather large proof, which is the reason I left as much context away as possible).

14. Jun 23, 2017 #13

Math_QED

Homework Helper

I am studying for my exam group theory right now and I reread this thread. How can your counterexample make sense if ##G## is finite and we already have established a surjection between the two finite groups? This clearly must imply that the function is injective as well.

15. Jun 23, 2017 #14

fresh_42

I think my misconception lied in ##\langle g_1,g_2 \rangle## which probably should be read as ##\langle (g_1,g_2) \rangle##, which makes a great difference. My example (##g_1 = g_2##) used the fact that ##B \times B \ncong B## for finite groups. So if we generate a group by ##g_1## and ##g_2##, we get ##g_iA \cong B## in the example. But if we generate it by the pairs ##\{(g_1,g_2)\,\vert \,g_i \in B\}## we get ##B \times B## and it's no counterexample. It all depends on how ##\langle g_1,g_2 \rangle## had to be understood. Usually it means "group generated by all by ##g_1## and ##g_2##" as you also suggested in the definition of ##f##. But I think we may not multiply the two and consider pairs instead.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted