Question about Cosets: Does abH=baH imply ab=ba? | Group Theory Homework

• Thread starter MostlyHarmless
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosets
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a property of cosets, specifically whether the equation abH=baH implies that ab=ba. The group G modded by its center, Z(G), and its relationship to nontrivial cyclic groups is also mentioned. The conversation concludes with a discussion about using the fact that G/Z(G) is cyclic to write elements of G/Z(G) as powers of a generator. Ultimately, it is determined that the equation does not necessarily imply that ab=ba, but rather it is true if and only if a certain condition is met.
MostlyHarmless

Homework Statement

I really just need clarification about a property of cosets. I can't find anything explicitly stating one way or the other, and it could be because I'm wrong, or because it's deemed trivially true.

Homework Equations

Left Coset: (aH)(bH)=abH, where a,b are elements of a group G, and H is a normal subgroup of G.
G/Z(G):= {gZ(G) | g ##\epsilon##G}, where Z(G) is the center of the group, G.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my question:
Does, abH=baH imply that ab=ba

The framing of the problem is that I want to show that a group G modded by its center, Z(G), that is, G/Z(G), cannot be a nontrivial cyclic group. My approach is to show that G is abelian and therefor G=Z(G). Moreover, I'm using the fact that G/Z(G) is cyclic to write elements of G/Z(G) as powers of a generator. That is, letting two elements a,b be in G; I get aZ(G), bZ(G) are elements of G/Z(G). Then I proceed similarly to a proof that cyclic implies abelian. If needed I can spell out the proof, but at the moment I'm more concerned with the bit about this paragraph.

Physics news on Phys.org
MostlyHarmless said:
Here is my question:
Does, abH=baH imply that ab=ba
No. What is true is that ##abH = baH## if and only if ##a^{-1}b^{-1}ab \in H##. Certainly this is true if ##ab = ba##, but it can also be true if ##ab \neq ba##, for example if ##H## is (or contains) the commutator subgroup of ##G##: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commutator_subgroup

The framing of the problem is that I want to show that a group G modded by its center, Z(G), that is, G/Z(G), cannot be a nontrivial cyclic group.
My approach is to show that G is abelian and therefor G=Z(G). Moreover, I'm using the fact that G/Z(G) is cyclic to write elements of G/Z(G) as powers of a generator. That is, letting two elements a,b be in G; I get aZ(G), bZ(G) are elements of G/Z(G)
So far so good. For brevity, let's write ##Z## instead of ##Z(G)##. Suppose that ##G/Z## is cyclic. Then ##G/Z = \langle xZ\rangle## for some ##x \in G##, in other words, the elements of ##G/Z## are cosets of the form ##x^kZ## where ##x## is some fixed element of ##G## and ##k \in \mathbb{Z}##. In particular, if ##a,b \in G## then there are integers ##m,n## such that ##aZ = x^mZ## and ##bZ = x^nZ##, or equivalently, ##a \in x^mZ## and ##b \in x^nZ##. What does this imply about ##a^{-1}b^{-1}ab##?

Sorry for not responding to this, the proof I turned in had a similar idea, it just wasn't quite right. This was the solution shown to us in class.

1. What are cosets?

Cosets are subsets of a group that are formed by multiplying a fixed element of the group by all possible elements of the group.

2. How are cosets different from subgroups?

Subgroups are subsets of a group that are themselves groups, while cosets are not necessarily groups on their own. Additionally, subgroups are formed by taking a subset of elements from the original group, while cosets are formed by multiplying a fixed element by all elements of the group.

3. What is the significance of cosets in group theory?

Cosets are important in group theory because they help to understand the structure of a group. They can reveal information about the size and properties of a group, and can be used to prove important theorems such as Lagrange's Theorem.

4. How are cosets related to normal subgroups?

A subgroup is considered "normal" if all of its left cosets are equal to its right cosets. In other words, the left and right cosets of a normal subgroup are the same. Normal subgroups play a key role in the definition of quotient groups, which are formed by taking the cosets of a normal subgroup.

5. Can you give an example of cosets in action?

One example of cosets in action is the group of integers under addition. If we choose the subgroup of even integers, then the cosets would be all even numbers and all odd numbers. Another example is the group of symmetries of a square, where the subgroup of rotations would have two cosets: the identity and a 180-degree rotation, and the subgroup of reflections would also have two cosets: vertical reflections and horizontal reflections.