Through the eyes of a being that can see two in dimensions

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Lisastronomy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Dimensions Eyes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Lisastronomy
Messages
15
Reaction score
13
TL;DR
What would a being that can only see two dimensions see, when they look at a smartphone?
Since a phone is an object which can show three dimensions on a two dimensional screen, I wondered what a two dimensional being would see when they look at a smart phone or any other screen. So:What would a two dimensional being see, when they look at a smartphone?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Read about Edwin Abbott's Flatland here. If you find the description intriguing enough, the book is available from Amazon.com in many forms for less than $10.00. I read it many years ago and I found it very enjoyable and mind expanding at times.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jbriggs444, Nugatory, etotheipi and 1 other person
Don't we see two dimensions? What is the difference between what you are talking about and what we see?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters
Are we imagining a two-dimensional being with a one-dimensional retina working to reconstruct a two dimensional world-view based on depth cues?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
Lisastronomy said:
What would a two dimensional being see, when they look at a smartphone?
I don't even know what you or anyone else sees. I can only be certain about what I see myself, but never be sure if anyone else sees the world in the same way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explanatory_gap
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Delta2