Throwing a baseball up in the air

In summary: So it's not always true that the magnitude of acceleration after the ball is released is greater than the magnitude of acceleration while it is being thrown. Thank you for clarifying!In summary, the magnitude of acceleration may be greater while the ball is being thrown or after it is released, depending on the assumption of how it is thrown and whether the acceleration is constant or not. The acceleration during the throw can be calculated using dv/dt and the time it takes for the ball to reach its maximum height. It is also important to consider the forces acting on the ball, such as gravity, during and after the throw.
cdotter

Homework Statement

You throw a baseball straight up in the air so that it rises to a maximum height much greater than your height. Is the magnitude of the acceleration greater while it is being thrown or after it leaves your hand? Explain.

2. The attempt at a solution
I'm guessing that the magnitude of the acceleration is greater while it is being thrown. Acceleration is dv/dt. When I throw a ball straight up, velocity goes from 0 to Vmax in less than a second. When the ball leaves my hand, it takes more than a second for the velocity to reach zero then fall back to the ground. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
cdotter said:

Homework Statement

You throw a baseball straight up in the air so that it rises to a maximum height much greater than your height. Is the magnitude of the acceleration greater while it is being thrown or after it leaves your hand? Explain.2. The attempt at a solution
I'm guessing that the magnitude of the acceleration is greater while it is being thrown. Acceleration is dv/dt. When I throw a ball straight up, velocity goes from 0 to Vmax in less than a second. When the ball leaves my hand, it takes more than a second for the velocity to reach zero then fall back to the ground. Is this correct?
Your analysis is quite correct, provided the acceleration is uniform while in contact with your hand. But consider this: If the ball is being raised by your arm at constant upward velocity just prior to being thrown, what is the acceleration of the ball just before launch? After being launched what force acts on the ball? What is the ball's acceleration after launch?

AM

Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:
Your analysis is quite correct, provided the acceleration is uniform while in contact with your hand. But consider this: If the ball is being raised by your arm at constant upward velocity just prior to being thrown, what is the acceleration of the ball just before launch? After being launched what force acts on the ball? What is the ball's acceleration after launch?

AM
So the magnitude of acceleration after the ball releases from my hand (from gravity) is greater than the magnitude of acceleration with the ball in my hand (from being thrown)?

Last edited:
cdotter said:
So the magnitude of acceleration after the ball releases from my hand (from gravity) is greater than the magnitude of acceleration with the ball in my hand (from being thrown)?
It depends on your assumption of how it is thrown.

If one assumes that the throw is made with a constantly accelerating arm, your first answer is correct. But you should state that as your assumption.

I was simply pointing out that if the acceleration is not constant it may not be the case that the magnitude of the acceleration before release is greater than that after. (for example, if the arm accelerates in the first part of the windup but then moves at a fairly uniform speed afterward but before the ball is released).

AM

Andrew Mason said:
It depends on your assumption of how it is thrown.

If one assumes that the throw is made with a constantly accelerating arm, your first answer is correct. But you should state that as your assumption.

I was simply pointing out that if the acceleration is not constant it may not be the case that the magnitude of the acceleration before release is greater than that after. (for example, if the arm accelerates in the first part of the windup but then moves at a fairly uniform speed afterward but before the ball is released).

AM

Oh, I understand now. :smile:

1. What force causes a baseball to come back down when thrown up in the air?

The force that causes a baseball to come back down when thrown up in the air is gravity. Gravity is the natural force of attraction that exists between two objects with mass, in this case, the Earth and the baseball. The Earth's gravitational pull is what pulls the baseball towards the ground, causing it to fall back down.

2. How does the angle at which a baseball is thrown affect its trajectory when thrown up in the air?

The angle at which a baseball is thrown can affect its trajectory when thrown up in the air. The greater the angle of the throw, the higher the baseball will go before reaching its peak and falling back down. A lower angle will result in a shorter distance traveled and a steeper descent. The angle can also affect the speed at which the ball is thrown, which can impact its trajectory as well.

3. Why does a baseball reach a peak height before falling back down?

A baseball reaches a peak height before falling back down because of the force of gravity. As the ball is thrown up in the air, it is moving against the force of gravity. At the peak of its trajectory, the ball's upward velocity slows down and eventually stops, and gravity takes over, pulling the ball back down towards the ground.

4. Does air resistance have an impact on a baseball thrown up in the air?

Yes, air resistance does have an impact on a baseball thrown up in the air. As the ball moves through the air, it experiences air resistance, which is a force that opposes its motion. This force can slow down the ball's speed and affect its trajectory. However, the impact of air resistance is usually minimal for a baseball thrown by a person.

5. How can variables such as air temperature and humidity affect a baseball thrown up in the air?

The air temperature and humidity can affect a baseball thrown up in the air in several ways. The temperature can impact the ball's air resistance, with colder air being denser and offering more resistance. Humidity can also affect air resistance and can also make the ball feel heavier due to the moisture in the air. These factors can impact the distance and trajectory of the baseball when thrown up in the air.