Throwing a Short Put - simple Distance problem?

• Thread starter helpphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Short
In summary, the boy throws a shotput at a 45 degree angle and it travels a horizontal distance of 30m. If he releases the same shotput at the same speed but changes the angle to 55 degrees, the new range or distance will be 41m. The equation used to find the range is Distance = (Velocity^2 * sin(2*angle))/g. By using this equation, the boy was able to calculate the new range of the shotput.
helpphysics

Homework Statement

Boy throws a shotput at angle of 45Degree which travels a horizontal distance of 30m
If he releases same shotput at same speed but changes angle to 55 Degree, what will be the new range or distance?
A) 25m B)41m C)28m D)37m E)32. m

Homework Equations

That's what i am finding.?/?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the info posted somewhere like
Distance = 1/2 * (acceleration) * (time squared) + (Velocity) * (Initial time) + (Initial Distance)
But i am not able to get what to put where? what to put in velocity? horizontal or vertical?
I am not even sure this is correct way.
Pleas hlp...driving me nuts!
Just explain me the concept with equation, if you do not want to solve for me. please

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for your help. That worked nicely :biggrin:

1. What is the formula for calculating the distance of a short put throw?

The formula for calculating the distance of a short put throw is d = v2 / g, where d is the distance, v is the initial velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do I determine the initial velocity of a short put throw?

The initial velocity of a short put throw can be determined by measuring the speed at which the put is released from the hand. This can be done using a radar gun or by measuring the time it takes for the put to travel a known distance.

3. What is the optimal angle for a short put throw?

The optimal angle for a short put throw is 45 degrees. This angle allows for the maximum distance to be achieved without sacrificing accuracy.

4. How does air resistance affect the distance of a short put throw?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on the distance of a short put throw. The greater the air resistance, the shorter the distance the put will travel. This is why it is important to throw the put with a smooth, streamlined motion.

5. Are there any techniques that can help improve the distance of a short put throw?

Yes, there are several techniques that can help improve the distance of a short put throw. These include having a strong and consistent release, proper foot placement and weight distribution, and using a full arm extension during the throw. It is also important to practice regularly and work on developing overall strength and flexibility.