Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thunderstorm pictures and hot pixels

1. Jun 23, 2011 #1
    So the other evening, the last at Mont Cru, nature finally regaled me with a beautiful thunderstorm. So I set myself up and shot lots of 30 sec exposures during an hour of awesome display. Many pixs were useless, between nothing captured and a complete white out, but some dozen seemed very nice like this:

xpy9ac.jpg

But when I examined the pics more closely, I discovered a lot, maybe a dozen, hot pixels. I thought that this would be rather unacceptable for a camera like that. But after some reading like this maybe it was not that bad at all.

So I tried that hot pixel elimunator in that link, with this result:

2cs9f7r.jpg

The original crop on top shows three hot pixels, from left to right a blue, red, and white one. The white light on the left is a light indeed, no hot pixel. The bottom crop after applying the eliminator, only shows a little bit of the red one left

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2011 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Stunning picture, Andre! Awesome display. Nature reminds us how small we are!

4. Jun 24, 2011 #3
    Absolutely Astronuc and thanks

Here are some of the best shots, notice that the wind created ghost images of the leaves in some of them.

j5f9xs.jpg

2m5084p.jpg

ndt10y.jpg

2dlm0z6.jpg

y2ayw.jpg

148hwys.jpg

29bsrk.jpg

5. Jun 24, 2011 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

spectacular pics!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook